• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

3 or 4 channel tube amps?

eaeolian

Originally posted by Legend
Hughes & Kettner Triamp MKII. 3 Dual Channels. Each channel has an A and B mode, with seperate gains, and shared EQs. So that's 3 seperate EQs, and 6 different gain selections.
I hope the Mk II fixes the original's somewhat dosconcerting tendency to catch fire. Good sounding amp, though.

Troy Baer

Originally posted by eaeolian
I hope the Mk II fixes the original's somewhat disconcerting tendency to catch fire. Good sounding amp, though.
Mine doesn't get nearly as hot as the AC15TBX I used to have... but it's also rebiased to run 6L6s rather than EL34s in the power section, and 6L6s pull a lot less heater current from the PT than EL34s do.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
I'll be bringing one out later this year, along with an integrated footswitch.
It will have four channels and a MV or attenuator on the head. Footswitch will have a clean boost, an OD with gain/level, 3 band EQ, ABCD switcher and the amp will be a 50 watt JTM 45 based design, with the usual tweaks you can expect from a scumbag such as myself.

I'm hoping to do a decent master volume that doesn't suck tone, but my standards are pretty high, so it may not happen unless I go with a built in attenuator with four or five levels of attenuation.

Kevan

Originally posted by TieDyedDevil
I really hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but if you see one of these... RUN AWAY!

There's a local dealer who's still stuck with one of two of those at fire-sale prices, and it has been at least a couple years since Cruise closed their doors.

Their amps look good on paper, but man... the execution just doesn't cut it at all.
I'd almost agree with you here if my Cruise didn't function perfectly (and sound great after a full-on re-tube).

They are 4 channels, each with it's own independent EQ and reverb, and the cool part- the ability to "blend" (combine) between the channels. 1+2+4, or 2+3+4, or 1+2+3, etc., and then select the level of each channel in the blend (kinda like mixing). I don't know of any other amp that can do that, and certainly not any other all-tube amp.
I can get my piezo-equipped guitar to sound like 3 guitars playing simultaneously. It's pretty damn cool, but I only use that amp with that particular guitar. $3K+ for only one guitar. Not much sense, but then again, look who posted this. LOL

I got to visit the Cruise "factory" 2 years ago. It's pretty much closed up, save for warranty stuff. The entire company is for sale, if anyone is interested. :)

Ah Xoc Kin

Originally posted by TieDyedDevil
I really hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but if you see one of these... RUN AWAY!

There's a local dealer who's still stuck with one of two of those at fire-sale prices, and it has been at least a couple years since Cruise closed their doors.

Their amps look good on paper, but man... the execution just doesn't cut it at all.
I have to disagree too. While I would not pay 2 or 3 K for the amp, the Cruise is not that bad. I actually got mine at a "fire-sale price" so I'm glad about that :D

The biggest issue I've found with the amp is that channels 3 and 4 are very muddy. A quick and cheap solution is to add an eq. I used an ART Tube Eq placed on the effects loop, and got great results. I have replaced module 4 with another module 2, and when using module 3 I can just blend it to make it usable.

As Kevan mentioned, the blend feature is great. It also has other very well thought features that work fine (e.g., mute, tuner output, separate loops, piezo input, etc.)

I'm very happy with mine :)

Zinky Superfly.

A completely different concept, but applicable. 6 'voicings', and saveable control of all gain and EQ.

That adds up to 32 channels of Love.

But I guess for the sake of argument, 6 'channels' would be right.

EP.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by eaeolian
I hope the Mk II fixes the original's somewhat dosconcerting tendency to catch fire. Good sounding amp, though.
Someone should tell Alex Lifeson about that. :D

Triamp MKII
Boogie Road King
Boogie 3-channel Rec, I have one, and with channel 2 on vintage and channel 3 on modern, they don't sound much alike at all.

waxnsteel

Originally posted by Dave B
Didn't GT make one a few years back? I'm remembering Clean, Mean, and Scream. Or was that for one of their rackmount units that went along with one of their stereo power amps?
Called a Trio, but it's just a pre. Pair it up with the Dual 75 and it's an AMP!

If you're going the rack route, Randall/Egnater RM4 is awesome. I've only played with a Randall 3 channel 50 watt head, and it crushes, but I imagine their power amp does a great job, too, and it's switchable via midi, and you can use different tubes in each side, and switch, awesome trick if you ask me. The modules I tried were Tweed, Plexi, and SL+, and each one really was distinct, and damn close to the tone it named. Road king does the same trick except with 3 sets of tubes. I thought the Road king sounded really good, and was just ridiculously versatile, so many options, but none of the sounds just knocked me out.

eaeolian

Boogie 3-channel Rec, I have one, and with channel 2 on vintage and channel 3 on modern, they don't sound much alike at all.
Agreed. I use mine that way for my cover band, and channel two will do a respectable Marshall - and sound pretty nice with the volume rolled off - while three's a pure, evil Mesa. Add a decent overdrive to push the clean channel, and it's very versatile.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Ah Xoc Kin
I have to disagree too. While I would not pay 2 or 3 K for the amp, the Cruise is not that bad. I actually got mine at a "fire-sale price" so I'm glad about that :D

The biggest issue I've found with the amp is that channels 3 and 4 are very muddy. A quick and cheap solution is to add an eq. I used an ART Tube Eq placed on the effects loop, and got great results. I have replaced module 4 with another module 2, and when using module 3 I can just blend it to make it usable.

As Kevan mentioned, the blend feature is great. It also has other very well thought features that work fine (e.g., mute, tuner output, separate loops, piezo input, etc.)

I'm very happy with mine :)
I'm going to agree with the original poster here. I've played two. One I owned for a while, traded for it and traded out of it for about equal amounts in the $1100 range, so that's pretty firesale. It had two main problems for me:
1. The various output options didn't work worth a darn-the class AB ones on full and 1/2 power were OK, al the others were VERY noisy in a humm/hiss kind of way.
2. Even with all the EQ and volume options the clean wasn't super clean and couldn't be made loud enough to balance with the 4th channel on it's lowest setting overall volume-wise.

Dave's had the other that I saw-it broke and there was no way they could completely fix it, eventually basically gave it away (it sat on the floor for months at $750 with no takers). Plus it was very heavy and not super-durable construction (one side of mine caved in on shipping). All in all a great idea that just didn't work out that well.

No one's mentioned the trace elliott Trident-true 3 channel amp with an EL84 in the crunch channel for 18w Marshall kind of tones. Very cool and not expensive if you can find one!

I tried the H&K and liked it. Owned the Egnator-channels 3 and 4 were too smooth sounding for me. Had the Mk IV-too complicated and I couldn't set it up for a good clean sound and a good lead sound with the same settings.

Ah Xoc Kin

I guess we can agree they're inconsistent. I've played three. The first one may be the one that you saw, if by Dave's you mean the store in Wisconsin.
I lost about $90 on shipping. It was awful, and I sent it back immediately. It did not work properly, some features did not work at all, was noisy, and sounded awful. I believe the price was around $700 or $750, and the unit was a used unit supposedly in mint condition. I thought it was terrible!

My second one came from another store, and when it arrived it was broken. It was brand new, but it arrived damaged. It was perfectly packed, by the way. I don't know what UPS did to it but they managed to damage it in spite of the superb packing. The store had one more in stock and they sent it to me, also brand new. It was not even a display unit, but had been stored somewhere.
The 3rd unit arrived and it was night and day compared to the first one I played. I did change the tubes and one of the modules, and I use it with the Tube Eq. I'm very happy with it, plus I paid less than $700 for the brand new amp, including shipping and the footswitch. :)
In the past I had placed bids on 2 or 3 occasions and never met their reserve. This time I was the only bidder, and they had no reserve!

I do think it was overpriced when it came out, and channels 3 and 4 are extremely muddy. I can imagine people being VERY disappointed with this amp. I got lucky :)

bailnout

Man...you guys have something against Marshall or are they just too obvious? JCM 2000 TSL hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Not my favorite amp but I think it get's a worse rap than it deserves.

I like my Bogner Ecstasy pretty well but I do sometimes miss my H&K Triamp MkII. What a great clean tone that thing had. And Channel 3B was brutal!

I know the stipulation was no boost on the second channel and call that a third channel, but the boost on my OD100 dirt channel works for me for what I typically need a third channel for. The level of the boost has it's own control and the EQ curve that it adds to my rhythm tone is perfect for lead. Just my $.02.

SteveO

The Boogie Mark IV has three seperate channels, but on the clean, and crunch channels the bass and mid controls are shared. I still consider it a 3 channel amp (especially with the graphic EQ switched in on the crunch).
The Mark V has dedicated tone controls for each channel.

Also, the Roadster is the "less bells and whistles" version of the Road King (four channels).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom