3 outputs, 2 cabs, 1 Z matcher (impedance)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by seisxseisxseis, Feb 23, 2012.

1. seisxseisxseis

seisxseisxseis Member

I did a thread search but couldn't find anything that was inline with the question I had, and so I'm sorry for starting yet another impedance question.

The situation: I have a Mig100 with 4,4,8Ω outputs and 2 cabs. 1 is 16Ω and another is 8Ω. I also have a Z-matcher.

Now I know that if the other cab was 16Ω I could effectively run out of the 8 with a Y splitter and be fine (I have a very basic understanding of matching at least), but since the other cab is 8Ω, I know that's not an option. I also know under most circumstances, I would just have to go with 1 cab, but I didn't know if having a Z matcher would also be able to correct that issue.

Thank you in advance for your time and responses.

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Hook the 16 to the 8, and the 8 to the 4. You don't need the Z-matcher at this time.

3. seisxseisxseis

seisxseisxseis Member

That's what I thought since (I think I'm right about this...) 16 + 8 = 24/2 = 12 and 8+4 = 12, but I didn't know how exactly that translated across the outputs on the back of the head.

Thank you for the reply!