3 pedals for low, med and high gain into plexi amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by effectsman, Mar 25, 2015.

1. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Here's the brief.

3 pedals for running into a clean (sacrilege I know!) bass spec plexi amp into a 2x12 with M65 Creambacks.

I want suggestions for 3 pedals in total - one low, one medium, and one high gain pedal for use with this rig. I guess another option would be one or two low gain pedals, with one medium gain pedal, and stack them for high gain sounds.

Either way must be able to achieve low, medium and high gain sounds from whatever combination of 3 pedals you suggest. When I think low gain I am thinking 60's sounds, medium 70's, and high 80's and 90's type classic rock and hard rock.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. americananalog

americananalog Member

For 80s high gain lead I run a Wampler Pinnacle into a Danelectro Daddy-o (into the Normal channel). The Dano is quiet and its 3 band EQ is handy to get the tonal balance right.

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I would go Timmy for crispy low gain, something Klon-ish for medium, more mid forward 70's gain, and a Carl Martin Plexitone for hi-gain. Or Pinnacle.

4. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Morning Glory -> Wampler Plexidrive (set to low gain) -> Wampler Pinnacle

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Here are some cool options

Lo gain: Soul Food

Medium gain: Timmy, Any Tube Screamer style pedal, KOT/POT/morning glory/Buttah. These are all great because they can cut bass and add gain and mids. You definitely want to cut bass as you add gain especially on a 1986

Vintage High gain: Fuzz face or clone.

I have no idea what higher gain distortion pedal to run in front of a clean vintage style marshall. Mine has a PPI MV so i can get it to crunch at a reasonable volume. I never need more gain than a typical OD gives up to drive a crunchy marshall into liquid sustain. Fuzzes are completely over the top in a cool way but definitely not a modern high gain tone.

Right now my chain is Mini Bone Fuzz > Timmy > Soul food. Mini bone is used alone. The other 2 can be used together.

With my clean fendery amp the Bogner Blue is by far the most authentic sounding plexi pedal I have ever used. It will do JCM800 level gain with the boost channel engaged.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

This is exactly how I use my JMP100, set clean.

Boss OD3
    TS808 clone
    Rat