3 questions about Dr z maz 18

jimi junior

1. How well do these take pedals? I'm generally not a fan of the way vox amps take pedals, and prefer the 'blank canvas' fender sound for pedals. I know the maz18 isn't strictly a vox style amp, with the front end being something a little more unique. Does it respond well to pedals?

2. How much bottom end does the amp have? I'm putting this in a stereo setup and the other amp, a cornford carrera, has very little bottom end. I want fender levels of bottom end, ideally.

3. What would be a good, affordable, 1x12 cab to partner with the maz18 NO head? (Bearing in mind my request for bottom end)

Thanks in advance

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
1. They take pedals very well. IMHO, the M12 does a slightly better job but the Maz does very well also.

2. The EQ is very effective so you can dial in plenty.

3. The Dr. Z convertible open/closed 1x12 is a great cab. Speaker choice will have an effect of course.

stratpaulguy86

Silver Supporting Member
The Maz eats up pedals. The Maz I had reminded me of Vox AC15 meets Fender Deluxe. I remember really liking my OCD and Fulldrive 2 into it.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
1. Yes, it takes pedals really well.
2. The maz has huge transformers and a Fender esque tone stack on the front end, so it has about as much bass as possible from el84s. The bass isn't super piano-like as you will find in some 6l6 amps, but there is a lot of bass.
3. The most affordable good cabs that are easily sourced would be Egnater and Avatar. I have cabs from J Design, Dr. Z, and a couple of homemade cabs, and they all work well, so I wouldn't get hung up on any particular brand.

jimi junior

Thanks for the replies,

Does anyone have any experience running a wampler euphoria, wampler pinnacle, or barber burn unut/gain changer /LTD into the maz 18?

Also, what kind of sound do you tend to get out of the amp, with pedals off? I'm aiming for something between a Brad-Paisley style refined country twang and a Stevie Ray little wing type tone. Is that doable with the maz18?

Fendegibs

As already noted to your original questions, the Maz 18 is a terrific pedal platform and has great low end (the cut control is very useful in helping to achieve this while also reserving some sparkle), and my recommendation for a cab is anything with a Celestion Blue in it.

To your second set of questions, I ran a Euphoria (when it was still the Ecstasy) for quite a while and really loved it. I also have a couple MIAB/Plexi voiced pedals (e.g., JHS Charlie Brown and Bogner Blue) and then do well on the Maz platform, so I would imagine the Pinnacle or Barber pedals would also be great. You can get twang from the amp (see the cut control again).

stratman89

Silver Supporting Member
I'm aiming for something between a Brad-Paisley style refined country twang and a Stevie Ray little wing type tone. Is that doable with the maz18?
You will definitely get there with a Maz18.

As others have said the amp takes pedals very well.

Last edited:

stratpaulguy86

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies,

Does anyone have any experience running a wampler euphoria, wampler pinnacle, or barber burn unut/gain changer /LTD into the maz 18?

Also, what kind of sound do you tend to get out of the amp, with pedals off? I'm aiming for something between a Brad-Paisley style refined country twang and a Stevie Ray little wing type tone. Is that doable with the maz18?
I think the Maz 38 2x12 ( or 2x10?) might suit your needs better. The Maz 18 did the Paisley stuff well but not deep enough sounding for the SRV. The 38 sounds better to my ear too.

ECHaydo

1. Very very well. Especially when it's on the hairy edge of breakup.

2. It has plenty of bottom end. I usually have to reign it in a bit when setting up in a new space, but when you get it dialed in it's a very full sounding amp.

2. If you're dead set on a 1x12 configuration look at any cab with a celestion gold or blue. Every time I've played a Z with one or both of those it was a pretty deadly combination. But if you can be swayed I'd encourage you to keep an eye out for something in a 2x10. Me and a buddy both have Maz 18s, his is a 1x12 mine is a 2x10 and I've found that the 2x10 is a little tighter and still very very full.

Cheers

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I know it's counter intuitive, but the biggest sounding MAZ amps usually run the Z 10s. My preference is the convertible Dr Z 2x10 cab in closed back configuration for the tones you are looking for.

Takes pedals incredibly well, lots of bass on tap, and yes- gigantic transformers are part of the sound. Biggest trannies I honk I've ever seen in a <20w amp.

sideman

Never used pedals with my Max 18 2x10 combo because (1) it's tone controls (including master volume) allow a lot of tone tailoring, and (2) it's only an 18 w amp and overdrives readily at stage volumes. It had lots of lows and girth, due in part to the efficient Ceramic speakers, and because reportedly Z amps are British toned, with ample lows/mids. All my amps are combos - never use separate cabs.

Trending Topics