3 Strange Worlds straight out of science fiction

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GovernorSilver, May 2, 2016.

1. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160502

All three planets have one side that's always facing the star, and one side that's always facing away. That means one side is frigid and one side is scorching hot — but the regions in between might be downright cozy.

I'm pretty sure I've read a science fiction story or novel taking place on that kind of planet. Or was it an episode of one of the Star Trek shows?

Kind of bothering me a bit that I can't remember which sci-fi work it was.

Jason Calieri likes this.
  2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It's a red sun, and Krypton was from a red sun system, so.....? In all of these speculations about life on other planets, and what planets could sustain life, etc., the talk is about what planets that could sustain carbon based life, like ours, but what about the possibility of intelligent life in a form that we maybe can't even imagine?

3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

No, it wasn't any of the Superman works (comics, movies, TV episodes, etc) for me.

Besides, Krypton was never mentioned as a non-rotating planet, with one side permanently facing the sun and the other permanently facing away, as in the case of the 3 planets in the OP.

I'm thinking maybe a Larry Niven novel? He thought up of some unusual worlds (eg. Ringworld). Or perhaps a Philip K. Dick story.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

If memory serves, one of the stories from "I, Robot" (Asimov) takes place on Mercury, whose orbit is locked in the same way (I think?).

Wolfboy1 and Chrome Dinette like this.
  5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Asimov's works are also possibilities. However, Mercury does rotate, even if it's at a veerryyy sloooowww rate compared to Earth.

6. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

You're right, I just checked wikipedia, looks like there are 3 days to every 2 years on Mercury.

I remember an "I, Robot" story where they're on Mercury, on the border between the Sun-facing side and the other side, and the robot was having an existential crisis or whatever and was frozen by indecision (it's been a long while since I read it, so I could be mixing things up).

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Wolfboy1 and Chrome Dinette like this.
  7. 55hz

55hz Member

Wasn't there a Star Trek movie somewhat based on the peoples from the dark side?

8. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

If they haven't decided what to call this planet, I know just the person it should be named after.

The Captain likes this.
  9. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

Kirk dumped Khan on a downright hostile planet.

10. PaganBeef

PaganBeef Member

The Sun is not an ordinary star.
    80% of stars are red dwarfs.
    The Sun is also unusual in that it doesn't have one or more red dwarf companions.

[​IMG]
    Red dwarfs go for a trillion years.
    If life could ever get going on their planets, it wouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Earth (ish) planets discovered so far are hundreds and thousand of light year away.
    It’s cool to find there may be some in our own backyard.

11. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

A non-Start Wreck movie from the 90's or the Ought's

12. cogan

cogan Silver Supporting Member

There's a scene in "Chronicles of Riddick" where they are trying to stay between the frozen night and volcanic day of the prison planet. Not exactly the McDLT / Big n' Tasty "one side's always hot, the other's always cold" scenario you are looking for, but same sort of situation.

13. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

That actually sounds familiar. I do remember a sci-fi action movie in which there were action scenes in that scenario - everyone is trying to stay within the "Goldilocks belt" of the planet, because they'll either freeze to death or burn to death otherwise. The Riddick movie might be it.

14. cogan

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yes! That's it!

16. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

There was an episode where some of the people were white on one side, black on the other, and the other race was the opposite. "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield". Frank Gorshin and Lou Antonio guest starred.

[​IMG]

Eric Rowland likes this.
  17. cogan

A-Bone may be our resident aficionado of good film, but I can hold my own when identifying references to the cinema of the not-so-good.

18. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

They were running from the prison entrance to the spaceport, cos the train was broken. As I recall it was an asteroid, so no gravity, and no atmosphere, but lets not poke too many holes in the plot. A good movie IMHO, though not well regarded.

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

from the episode, Planet of the Black and White Cookie

20. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

It's crazy though that they found 3 real-life planets like that.