3 strats; 3 pickup sets - what am I missing

chrisrocksusa

Hey tgp fam, I'm looking for a a pickup set for my third strat and I'm curious what strat type sound im missing

I have one with Lollar blackface pickups, another with Texas specials, and a third strat that I'd like another flavor of pickups in.

I love the Texas specials for their sustain but don't necessarily want two strats with this set.

I'm a Les Paul guy so I don't really know what the 57 vs 62 or 69 sets are supposed to sound like nor do I really understand what the blackface pickups are supposed to emulate.

I'd love any suggestions based on the above..

Thanks

Last edited:

dead mike

A set that would be close to a 54 strat. I have TexMex in one set and wanted something earlier, I went with Boostrap 54 sparkle set with A3 magnets. Totally different sweet woody sound. Definitely worth a look

Last edited:

VHS analog

Silver Supporting Member
You like the Texas Specials. When you find something that works stick with it. That said, I like to have one strat around with a noiseless option.

Last edited:

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
How about a P90 flavored pickup? I have Fralin SP43 pickups in one of my strats and they sound great. Aggressive yet sweet sounding… nice cleans and even better dirty tones.

johnny q

Any time I see a "which pickup for my Strat" thread, I always suggest Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots.

Another option is Fender Pure Vintage 59s.

DonP

A set that would be close to a 54 strat. I have TexMex in one set and wanted something earlier, I went with Boostrap 54 sparkle set with A3 magnets. Totally different sweet woody sound. Definitely worth a look
Same here, but I went with the Bootstrap '54 V Pros and I'm very happy with those.

I love the TexMex however.

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
Wilde Microcoils, either the Alnico or Ceramic. Very open, dynamic, hi fi sound. Not hum free, but very low noise. You can always add distortion, why not start with a really clean tone?

EC Strat

SD SSL 1/1/5 set - you’d appreciate the overwound bridge given you like a more meaty sound
Klein Epic 59 set
fender PV 59
Fender PV 65
SD Texas Hots

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Pivoting from the Texas Specials, a set of Van Zandt Blues Strat pickups would keep the punch and sustain while offering a different flavor.

My next recommendation would be the SD Classic 50’s (SSL-1).

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
Try something underwound. I got a Troposphere Strat a while back and the pickups are great. Musical and “bell-like”.

Unfortunately, the pickups aren’t available separately.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
I have Lollar blondes in my Strat. My next/second Strat will likely get Fender Fat 50s.

Verne Andru

Lipsticks.

q5gtz43schbyebs7by5j.jpg

If you're Les Paul oriented, a double-fat-strat (or H-S-H) with your choice of humbuckers is another variation on the theme. If you want to stick with the Stratocaster single-coil austhetic, then put rails or other single-coil sized humbuckers in there then go crazy with a super-switch.

Last edited:

415Guitars

Try to scavenge fender’s custom double taps, not sure of the readings but they seem hotter than the ultras (or I’ve fallen for marketing).

Lace pickups are great, especially if layering effects.

P90 black doves are kinda off the beaten path
3BC77C7E-29D6-4CAA-BA32-528B9723CCB5.jpeg

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
Try a pair of CS69s in the neck and middle with a Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge position, the result is Gilmour and beyond. If you try this set, remember to reverse the leads on the SSL-5 to match the polarity of the CS69s.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom