1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

3 very different albums I think most TGP'ers will love

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by boldaslove1977, May 24, 2011.

1. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

Looking for new music for your iPod?

I am... I'm home sick from work and uploading CDs onto my computer/phone that have been sitting on a pile on my dresser and so far have only gotten limited play in the car. Among them... 3 guitar gems... I've been lucky enough to see all 3 live recently... and the albums are fantastic. All 3 are highly recommended.

[​IMG]

Eric Gales is just on another planet. If you've never heard him before... buy "Relentless" and your mind will be blown. Yeah, he has a lot of Hendrix and SRV going on... but he puts such a modern spin on it that it's refreshing. His playing is so off the charts... I just start laughing out loud when I listen to this... my favorite song is "Make It There."

[​IMG]

I was lucky enough to see Eric Johnson twice in NYC recently. I've always liked his playing but I've never actually owned any of his albums until "Up Close." Great stuff...really wide range of material... and his tones range from country chicken-pickin to that 200 pound violin. I'm still digesting this one... but so far my favorite song is "Austin" simply because it's the most catchy.

[​IMG]

Dave Weiner is an old friend of mine... I played in a band with him back in college and we knew he was going to do great things. He's been in Steve Vai's band for more than a decade but this album isn't as Vai-like as you might think. The production on this is absolutely amazing... lots of orchestral, anthemic type stuff... very melodic, soulful playing... with small bursts of shred thrown in the middle. A lot of the album almost sounds like a movie score. Great use of effects and there's some cool acoustic stuff in there too. The main riff in "Ignition" is just ridiculously badass.

Anyway... that's all. Just bored at home... thought I'd share. You won't be disappointed with any of these 3... they all make for great listening!

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I just ordered the Eric Gales cd. It better be good ;)

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

As much as I like E. Gales, I was disappointed by this CD. The songs seem a bit forced and formulaic. I don't listen to it much.

4. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

All CD's are very much worth more than a listen. Gales is a true tour de force. Dave Weiner plays beautifully and with much less wankery than one might expect from a Vai camp player, I find his title track On Revolute very well constructed with great use of the 7 string he employs as his muse and squire. BTW: Dave is a very cool dude too. I am still warming to Eric Johnson's playing, I own several of his earlier CD's as well as the G3 DVD's, and where I will admit he is a masterful player, I must admit his style of playing is a bit too feminine for my liking. Gayles on the other hand is a hard hitting in your face type of player I grew up with and still enjoy listening to, his playing is brilliant.

5. Agitator

Agitator Member

Interesting... I thought that was going to be Eric Gale, who played lead guitar on this album, a true classic, that was recently reissued:

[​IMG]

6. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

that's interesting to me... because until i saw him live a few months ago... all i knew about him was that i had seen smokin' videos on youtube... and the TGP crowd likes him. "relentless" is the first and only album of his i have... so i'm gonna have to go backward from here.

Yes... Dave really is a great guy... and he does a really good job interacting with fans on Facebook. I wish his solo stuff would get more attention. And he is constantly buying/selling/trying new stuff. He recently switched from Ibanez to PRS as his bread and butter... but he also has a 52 Hot Rod tele, a gold top LP and I think a few strats too. He's a big time gear geek.

Your comparison between Eric and Eric is interesting... they are very different animals... depends on what kind of mood I'm in I guess....