3-Way Tele with SeriesParallel & Out-of-Phase Options - Push-Pull Pots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GabeJE, May 1, 2016.

1. GabeJE

GabeJE Member

I am new to this page, so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong spot. Also, I have no experience with wiring or building at all but I want to experiment.

Anyway,

I am going to wire my tele with push/pull pots in the volume and tone. One of them is going to be series/parallel, the other is going to be in phase/out of phase.

I already purchased two DiMarzio 250k push/pull pots.

My question is this: What else do I need to purchase?

What kind of wire do I need to buy for this?

Do I need any electrical components like a capacitor or a resistor?

I am ignorant, so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here is the diagram.

[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you'll need thin stranded hookup wire, like 22G or thinner. (the bigger the number the thinner the wire, so 28G might be just right for wiring the little contacts on the push-pulls.)

you'll need that one capacitor for the tone pot, the .047μF.

you'll need the neck pickup to have that third separate ground wire for the metal cover (or to not have a metal cover at all.

finally, have you heard a guitar with these options?

series gives you a volume and low end boost, but unless the pickups are hum-canceling when they're both on, you'll get a big noise boost too.

"out of phase"* on fenders to me just sounds really thin and nasty, like you have a broken pickup.

both at the same time might be tolerable, the fat boost of series compensating for the big low end cut of "out of phase".

*it's actually "out of polarity", everybody just says "out of phase".

falderguitars likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i think the difference is that "phase" implies one wave leading or lagging the other, a time delay thing or a "phase angle" thing (phase angle talk quickly gets over my head).

i take "polarity" to be simply about + or -, the signal being exactly the same or exactly inverted.

all multiple pickups in a guitar are out of phase with each other at least a little bit, because they sense different spots along the string, meaning the vibrations in the string hit each pickup at a different point in the wave.

wired normally, they're all in polarity with each other though; a bit of metal moving towards the pickups will produce the same little voltage in the same direction, either all positive or all negative.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  4. GabeJE

GabeJE Member

Thanks for the help. I will be ordering those parts tomorrow.

I was inspired to do this when I saw the video for the Andy Summers signature tele from the Fender custom shop. He had a humbucker in the neck though, and I don't, so that will definitely sound different.

As for an increase in noise, or an undesirable sound from out phase wiring, I am just curious and trying to get my feet wet. I saw these mods and thought I would give them a try. I might not like them, who knows, but trying is part of the fun.

Thanks again for the input. It was very helpful.

5. GabeJE

GabeJE Member

well, I finished the wiring last night but there was one problem.

Everything works except that the tone pot was wired backwards.

I followed this diagram exactly, but my pickups are out oh phase when the switch is down and in phase (normal) when the switch is pulled up.

Are there flaws in this diagram, or did I maybe read something wrong?

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Reverse the black & grey wires on the diagram (from the neck pickup) on the tone pot switch.

Hopefully, you isolated the neck pickup's cover from its coil? Stock Tele neck pickups typically have one side of the coil connected to the cover and this needs to be isolated for this wiring to work properly.

Last edited: May 16, 2016