3 what ? possible or not ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Borhane, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Borhane

Borhane Guest

Hey ! I've been wondering about that for a couple of minutes.

Can't a class A amp run 3 tubes instead of 2 or 4 ??? With correct sockets this would allow for things such as using 1 6v6, 1 KT66 and 1 el-84. And so on, dreaming through worlds of never seen before tonal voicings.

Can that be ???? Plus, running 3 tubes the amp would have tons of headroom but not so that breakup would be hard...

EE ?

bo

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I am gazing into my crystal ball, bo ... I see a TriValve in your future. :D

3. Borhane

Borhane Guest

I see cascades of tones, and white peaks of beauty. Somewhere.... Somehow....

dis gonna happen ( We'll have been the foresighters - is that a word, forgive my poor frenchman's english ;) )

groove on !

4. Troy Baer

Troy Baer Member

That would be doable if you ran the tubes single-ended in parallel, which is what the BiValve does AFAIK. Biasing and keeping B+ voltages close to spec could be interesting, though.

5. Borhane

Borhane Guest

cathode biasing would be the word here i guess.

this is getting interesting ;) !

what about using two tone stacks and channel switching ? Voiced for cleans on chan 1 and for thick drive on the second.

ooch

6. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

This is totaly possible either with three tubes paralleled single-ended or in a push-pull design, though as John said they need to be biased right.

I have an amp that lets me dial one side of a push-pull pair out of the circuit. No reason why that wouldn't work for a 4 tube push-pull with one tube dialed out...

And yeah, it makes things grungier. But taht can be a cool tool.

7. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    And it's already been done for hi-fi, in stereo, paralled single ended, ultralinear pure class A. And it's priced less than many amps found on this forum. .

The Unison Research S6:

"The S6 is also unique in its own way. First of all it is a parallel single end with 3 tubes per side! The preamplifier stage consist of two directly coupled triode valves. The output stage uses three EL 34 type valves (specially made for Unison) per channel, connected together in triple parallel configuration and operating in single ended class A. The output transformers are specially designed and hand made. They are made for very wide frequency response, and cater for 8 and 4 ohm loudspeaker load. The circuit board use pure silver, as well as silver solder. The connectors, input as well as output are gold plated. "

http://www.audioprophile.com/products/amps/detail/unison_s6_detail.htm
    http://www.audioreview.com/Integrated,Amplifiers/Unison,Research,S,6/PRD_125486_2717crx.aspx

C'mon Ed! Let's see a stereo THD TriValve!
    :cool: