30 Day Challenge and Chemistry

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jaddy, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Jaddy

Jaddy Member

My wife and I have been doing 30 day challenges for the last few weeks based on a Ted Talk we saw. She decided to do a drawing a day and I chose to play drums for 10 minutes. It doesn't sound like much, but now I've put in over 4 hours of strict practice on an instrument I've never been dedicated to and am both noticing improvement and really enjoying it. Time is running out and we were talking about the next challenge and I got to thinking about chemistry. In University my liberal arts degree required a chemistry for 'artsie' course, but that's been it. I didn't enjoy it, nor learn much. Fast forward 30 years and I find myself thinking about it and so I've decided to study chemistry for my next challenge. Can anyone recommend a book or something I might look into? I've googled 'beginners guide to chemistry' but figure with all the teachers and chemists on this board someone might have a good suggestion.

Thanks and try and really enjoy your day today.

Jaddy

P.S. I encourage any one interested to take up a challenge. The Ted Talk I saw was of a fellow who had done all sorts of different things, he'd written a novel in 30 days, cooked a meal he'd never cooked before each day, learned to play Tuba and other very diverse things.

Skeet skeet! likes this.
  2. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

Total Synthesis 2 by Strike.

The Periodic Kingdom by PW Atkins.

These would be good if you don't want to go the rational analytic route.

3. Jaddy

Jaddy Member

I'll check them out, thanks. And learn what the rational analytic route is.. :)

4. burner

burner Member

The Anarchist Cookbook.

;)

VCuomo and armadillo66 like this.
  5. jaycee

jaycee Member

Chemistry in 30 days? That's going to be a tough one. I'm struggling through a course right now and there's no way i could do anything other than pick up some general knowledge in 30 days, without a serious time investment. If that's your goal than good luck!!

6. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Better living through chemistry

"Today's lesson kids is that there is no human problem so great that it cannot be fixed with the application of the right amount of high explosive" - Uncommon Valor

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

OP, which TED talk are you referring to?

Color me intrigued. :munch

8. Jaddy

Jaddy Member

It was a combination of a few, but this one was the first:

derekd likes this.