30 watt or 60 watt tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Paco Luna, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

I´m looking at this amps, one a combo and the other a head...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laney-Ironheart-All-Tube-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-J06800-i3637106.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laney-IRT60H-60W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-J00132-i3286184.gc

I´m at the moment where i think that the 30 watts should be ok but beacuase of the 1x12 speaker will not give me enough volume (i know i´m wrong, but i need someone to tell me that, please!)

but in the other hand i have the 60 watts, i cand adjust the wattage if i don´t need the 60 watts and choose the cabinet size i want.

My questions are:

Does size of the speaker matters for volume?
    Obviously yes, but i want the explanation.

The 60 watt amp will sound louder with a 1x12 cabinet than the 30 watts combo amp?

For how many people the 30 watt amp can handle at a gig?

thanks!

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

What kind of music? Some projects 30 watts was fine and floundered at others.

I would tend to always go bigger. You can always play with impedance and drop the headroom/thump if it was too much.

3. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Get the 60 watt amp. All else being equal, it will sound better.

:stir

4. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

Thanks for replying!, I play metal, so high distortion is my main...

5. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

Thnaks for replying!, it should sound better, theres more "space" with more watts, but just trying to make sure if the 30 watt combo will be enough like for 200 persons, because is easier to carry a combo amp..

with the combo amp i can insert a cabinet, do you think that with a 4x12 cabinet will sound very loud?

6. SteveO

SteveO Member

If you're playing metal, I'm going to assume that there will be a bit of volume involved at some point or another. Bigger is always better, as you can make a big amp quieter, but it's a bit of a trick to get more out of an amp that doesn't have any more to give.

Also, open-backed combos generally are not the best choice for metal. That tight thump comes from closed-back cabinets.

7. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Metal-60 to 100 watts +. Closed back and go for a 4-12 if you can.

8. jchan

jchan Member

If you want/need clean headroom in a gig setting (lots of funk/R&B), get the 60 watter and use pedals for overdrive. If you don't need clean headroom and you are playing slightly overdriven rhythms with some lead boosting (ROCK), get the 30 watter and you can push it harder. The 30 watter may give you the headroom you need but it will be close at gig volume.

The speaker and cabinet matter as well. Look at the speaker dB rating. Higher ratings indicate a more efficient speaker which will be louder with the same input.