30 years of Angel Dust

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
Really? We didn't seem to think so back then. Mind you I wasn't aware of Mr Bungle back then...now THAT was weird.
In the context of what FNM was expected to put out following their platinum success…I’d at least say it was not what the label was hoping for :rotflmao

I love when a band takes a crazy turn like Angel Dust and fully nails what they were going for.

In my overall top 10 albums for sure.

fleezinator

I agree. Their next album was the one one with cuckoo for kaka. What a let down for young teenage me to find out on the first listen that Jim Martin was no longer part of FNM.
Being a huge bungle fan, the idea of Trey Spruance in FNM was kinda like my own mini supergroup of my favorite bands and I had really high expectations. While it's still a solid album to me, Jim's presence was the lacking 'necessary evil' (as I've heard his role described) that made up a big part of the FNM sound. That Trey didn’t tour this album with FNM was a bummer too.

I also remember King for a Day… being a lot more guitar driven and a lot less of Roddy’s synths/piano/ strings. Like why is Roddy playing guitar on Digging the Grave live?

devicaster

The release of this album was an event in my circle of friends. I was seriously blown away how heavy they got on tracks like Caffeine & Malpractice, even on RV there's a TON of tasty guitar. I think its some of Jim's best work.

I will vouch for the later albums. I thought King for a Day had a flat sounding mix, but I like numerous tracks from that. And Album of the Year, was one for me!

MothAttack

"Each of us put everything we had into it. All we experienced on the previous Album and Tour helped us to evolve into this one..... We were challenged both internally and externally throughout the process. Very pleased with the result. Also very pleased that it still resonates with people." —Mike Bordin

Angel Dust was released 30 years ago today

An excellent (and long) interview during Angel Dust recording. And you get to watch Mike eating a sandwich while answering questions.

Last edited:
An excellent (and long) interview during Angel Dust recording. And you get to watch Mike eating a sandwich while answering questions.

This is pure entertainment and musical gold

Gotta love how Patton starts talking about “Blood Simple”

This is by far the most i’ve heard Martin talk, pretty neat

Interesting foreshadowing of Fantomas “The Director’s Cut” with Patton’s indication that he ends up in the soundtrack section of the record store

Roddy and Billy agree: Color Me Badd “takes the cake”!

Last edited:
…Really? We didn't seem to think so back then. Mind you I wasn't aware of Mr Bungle back then...now THAT was weird…

…In the context of what FNM was expected to put out following their platinum success…I’d at least say it was not what the label was hoping for…

Mr Bungle's eponymous major label debut was one of my favourites prior to Angel Dust, so was expecting it to get weirder with Patton contributing more. (As opposed to Real Thing where Patton came and sang over basically finished songs.) For some fans, Angel Dust maybe not super weird, but compared to Real Thing can see where the label was coming from.

Bought Midlife Crisis single when it was released, and it seemed pretty tame, maybe that was the label picking the safest track. But Jizzlobber on the B side was promising.

…Being a huge bungle fan, the idea of Trey Spruance in FNM was kinda like my own mini supergroup of my favorite bands and I had really high expectations. While it's still a solid album to me, Jim's presence was the lacking 'necessary evil' (as I've heard his role described) that made up a big part of the FNM sound. That Trey didn’t tour this album with FNM was a bummer too…

Yeah, sucked about Jim, but also enthused about Spruance joining, and sorry didn't get to see him live. FNM said some pretty harsh stuff about him at the time, interested to see his response many years later.

SciFlyer

Gold Supporting Member
If I recall correctly King for A Day was written primarily by Gould and Patton. Roddy was dealing with drug addiction and didn’t contribute much.
Spruance was basically a session guy.
There are some bangers on that album but I don’t think it truly represents the band.

Kidcotton

I was 18 when this came out. Bought it from the CD shop on the day it was released. Had no prior knowledge of what it might be like - I loved Real Thing so much and was always going to buy the follow up. I was shocked at this album when i first listened. I loved A Small Victory straight away - but the rest was too much at the time. It grew on me over that year and is easily one of my favourite albums that I still frequently put on. I don't play real thing that much, but Angel Dust - absolute masterpiece considering the context of it at the time.

Steve.

DrewJD82

I’m a massive FNM fan, to the point I couldn’t pick a favorite out of any of their albums.

It was the late 90’s, once they had gone on their hiatus, that I picked up The Real Thing on CD and would BLAST it going to school (high school) in the mornings. I picked up their What Hits? VHS and when I got to “A Small Victory” I thought they changed vocalists because it was such a different thing, only to realize it was still Patton.

This is entirely what spurred my Patton fanboysim that hasn’t really let up since. When I first started singing in bands, hahahah man….I used to get ripped on a lot for very obviously going for the Patton thing.

Angel Dust is probably the album that really hammered into my head “Do whatever the f*ck you want with your own music, don’t stick it in a genre”. I mean, where could you stick “A Small Victory” or “RV”?

Their last album didn’t get nearly as much attention as I thought it deserved from the fans, ”Matador” might be my favorite FNM song -

Trending Topics

Top Bottom