1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

$300 : Which Mic would you get?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Sanj, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Sanj

Sanj Member

I've got a 300 buck budget to plonk on a mic. Some additional info/background:

- I would like to have Omnidirectional capability
    - I already have a couple of SM57s and a SM58
    - to be used for recording at home. Mostly solo/duo/trio situations.

What would you get under these circumstances?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond :)

-Sanj

2. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

3. Sanj

Sanj Member

Thanks Throbak!

Just checked in at sweetwater .. and it's $269 for the C3 .. and right next to it are the C4's ... a pair for $299!!!

Guess the big difference is small-vs-large diaphragm .. the C4s are multi pattern too ....

what would the merits of the large diaphragm be .. is it really that big a deal ? The temptation to get two mics for the budget I have is tantalizing :)

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

what instruments? vocals?

5. Sanj

Sanj Member

Plans to use would/could include :

- vocals
    - acoustic guitars
    - room sounds with a bunch of folks playing.
    - to mike cabs for electrics/bass.

Thanks,

-Sanj

6. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

Fullcompass is probably cheaper than Sweetwater.

I would get the C3 over the C4 kit. It will have a bigger fuller sound than the small diaphragm condensers. I recorded all of the electric guitar clips on my site with a C3 on figure 8 pattern to hint of room ambiance.

I assume you have a phantom power supply for the mic.

7. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Personally, i cannot stand the way the C3s sound. "Boxy" is the first word that comes to mind. I'd look into the Oktava line 1st.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I second the Oktava recommendation.

It appears that Oktava's British distributor has had a disagreement with Oktava, and is importing mics from China that say Oktava on them.

Make sure you get a Russian Oktava. The Russian ones have serial numbers, the Chinese don't, according to the Oktava website.

9. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

I have a Microtech Gefell MT71S and an Audio Technica 4060 and against these three mics I prefer the C3. I would not describe it's sound as boxy.

10. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Hey Guys, the C3 sell's for $249.10 at Full Compass. Jason
    at ext.1153 will set you up with one.

I would look at tbe SE Z3300 is awesome as well. Full Compass as a special on Bstocks at $319.90

11. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Ok so I may be a bit spoiled - i own a Telefunken U67 Tube, serial # 00253 ;) That being said, i still think the Oktavas sound several orders of magnitude better than the C3.

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I'd go with Red Ant's recommendation...it's not often you get personal advice from grammy winners!

13. justicetones

justicetones Member

+1 on Red Ant advice.

Red Ant I am having gear lust at your U67. I love those. I am fortunate to have been able to use them (a pair, not consecutive but sounded close) on many occasions. A few of the vocalists said they had never heard their voice sound so good. Eventually I will own one. Hopefully one of Herb Alpert's 2 that I referred to. :)

On the other hand I own a C3. They are good for the price but definatley no comparison for a Neumann U67. They can sound boxy on some things I would agree 100%. It takes a little work to get them to open up but I can also think of expensive mikes that suffer from the same problem.

I agree with all on the Octava stuff. The Mk012's for instance were comparable to the KM84's that a few of us engineers did a shoot out with.

The Octava stuff (Russian made of course) is a very good value.

14. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Ive heard from my customers that you can contact Oktavia directly and they will sell you one direct! The Oktavia mic's sounded good when they had brought them in for a product
    demo.

I am still sticking to the SE Z3300 & you may want to look at ADK as well.

My personal fav is the Royer R122 ribbon mic. I use this on everything, it really shines for guitars & vocals.

15. justicetones

justicetones Member

The royer's are definatley great.

16. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I hear good things about the AT2020. This is debatable but imo, you can get more mileage from 3 $100 mics than from 1 $300 mic. Or, spend $100 on a Presonus Blue Tube or Studio Projects VTB1 preamp. Not sure why you want an omni mic but since you're doing home recording, probably in an untreated room, an omni might not be such a good thing to have.

For a few more dollars, you can buy a Peluso cemc6 and buy additional capsules as your budget allows.
    http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/CEMC6.html