31 band eqs/micing.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by diminishedlogic, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Recently, I posted my Idea about micing a iso cab into a 31 band eq. I do this in order too cut and boost any annoying spikes or sweet spots, however Rumor has it that by running a 31 band EQ, and then to Pa will kill all of the magic. Or suck tone. Perhaps running a buffer before the EQ might help this?

2. dave s

dave s Member

Back in the 80s, it was the 'cool' thing for most of the metal guitarists to run their marshall rigs through a 31-band EQ.

Frankly, I never heard a rig running through a 31-band EQ that didn't sound like a swarm of bees or a transistor radio.

dave

3. maybe because the tone was really "scooped" i would only be using the EQ for tweaks. Nothing radically different. Just getting rid of that obnoxious "honk" in the speaker

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If it's a good piece of audio hardware it should not suck the tone out. I use a Rane stereo graphic EQ for my live keyboards. One set of faders, but stereo I/O. At the time it was the only good stereo graphic EQ that didn't have 2 sets of faders; that might still be the case. Great brand! They also make 1-channel, of course.

5. thanks! any other suggestions? How about behringer?

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

Is that you, Walters?

Loudboy