335 / Epi Sheraton wiring - Pots won't pass through f-holes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fabiomayo, Mar 22, 2006.

1. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hi, y'all.

I decided to replace the low quality pot on my Epiphone Sheraton II. So I bought a couple of 500K CTS pot from Fender. That's what I found locally. I checked on the CTS website and I figured they're all the same. Thing is, I can't get them to pass through the f-hole and there's no hole big enough below the pickups. If I'd be willing to drill a bit, there may be some room under the lead pickup but I'd rather not do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks to anyone.

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Normal procedure on 335's is to pass everything through the lead pickup cavity.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

CONGRATULATIONS!

You've just handed yourself one ot the hardest jobs in all of electric guitar wiring challenges (GRIN)

Sometime you need to shave off a little of the binding in the f-holes on the edge inside the axe to be able to fit the pot through it. That sorts 'opens up' the f-hole, and it's not visible from the front of the guitar. I have had incredibly frustrating times doing this job - it's tough.

But it's not impossible. It just requires tons of patience.

I recommend attaching several feet of surgical tubing per shaft over the existing pot shafts, then removing the nuts that secure the post and drag the part of the harness you need access to out the f-hole. You may need to drag the entire harness out to work on it.

The surgical tubing will make it WAY EASIER to get the harness back in. ALSO, grind down a 1/4" plug until it fits through the output jack hole, attach a 3 foot wire to it, and do th esame procedure as with the pot shafts - it'll be way easier to get the harness back in when you're done soldering.

Dana

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Some of 'em have enough room to do this.

My '59 dot neck and '64 ES-345 do not have enought room - they did it through the f-holes.

Ouch! Makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it.

Dana

5. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

That's actually funny... I cracked myself when I read the email... :p Yeas, I think I did!

I guess you are right since the pot actually almost pass through the f-fole. I'll give this a shot later on (after I recover my patience - and I didn't do anything yet :D ).

Mine doesn't have room to go through the lead pickup cavity too. I'd have to take out a fair chunk of wood to be able to barely pass the pots... I believe I'll try the f-holes first.... It is also a good idea to stay away from drilling machines and chisels while I'm angry that I can't even pass the pot through the holes (maybe I'll end up drilling out of despair a control cavity on the back :NUTS ).

Thanks for the tips. I'm feeling optimistic...

6. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

The wired cts pots do fit through the f-hole, I did the same upgrade on a Sheraton II with it's fair share of headaches...

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

+1.

8. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Thank you all for the tips.

Rewiring is done and well. I rewired the guitar 50s style and liked the results. It's not a light and day experience but tone in general is a little clearer and it is more difficult to get muddy. I also took off the independent volume thing and liked to be able to mute the guitar easily in the two middle position.

Rewiring the guitar myself was worth it? Hardly but then again I'd probably do it again as I had a ball while I was at it. Process took about half a day (actually a few hours at night, then I slept over it, and a few more hours the next day). I couldn't get the parts through the lead pickup cavity so I tried the f-holes. Dana's advice was actually what made it possible (thanks!). I shaved a little bit of the binding on the inside of the guitar (and a little bit on the side too). Eventually I was able to pass the pots in and out the f-hole without much difficulty. Another problem I found was the pickup selector. I had bought a Gibson L-shaped one which I thought was the right kind for 335-like guitars. It did fit perfectly except I couldn't secure it in place since the thread wasn't long enough. Had to shave a little bit of the top to make the washer go a bit deeper into the top and reach the thread... It is not completely done but looks good (you can't see the shave-off).

A lot of trouble doing it but worth to get the guitar in shape. Just thought I should leave my experience here to others.

Thanks for all input.

All the best....

9. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

By the way, Dana... I download your band's songs. Really nice... Loved Matchbox... Congrats and thanks for sharing!