335 Experts Needed - Are They All Like This?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hardys, Jun 18, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I played a gorgeous 335 dot re-issue today at GC and it sounded great, EXCEPT the low E and to a lesser extent, the low A sounded like mush. These two string had very little definition and sounded almost muted. The action was high and they didn't appear to be fretting out. I used to own some 335s about 20 years ago, but don't remember them sounding like this. I've been playing solid bodies (Lesters, PRS, Strats & Teles) since then and don't experience this problem. Maybe I'm just more attuned to this, since I've been using solid bodies for so long.

2. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Don't know about that but they are never two that are alike in the wood / resonance / sound-department.

What you said could be the strings or the nut, if the rest sounds good.

Try before you buy...or buy high end japanese.

There are many duds for every good one.

QC is supposed to be good for ES-339 (except for set up) though.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Crap strings?

I can't imagine any guitar hanging in GC with fresh, quality, strings on it.

4. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

some genius probably put some of those nasty coated strings on it.

5. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

Yep, strings.
    I was worried when I got my new, unplayed 335 and thought it sounded dull. I could not get it to sound right in tune. Almost sent it back. Then i put new strings on it and made all the difference.
    Same thing with a recent '58 LP I just got.

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I always change strings on any guitar just acquired since I use different guage than what comes with most guitars, Factory strings are just bulk general sets and could have been on awhile.

7. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

The ES335 is one of the greatest sounding electric guitars of all time. I'd agree with the others that the guitar probably just needed new strings and a setup. The 335 doesn't have any inherent design flaws that cause the E and A strings to sound mushy. Either it was a bad *individual* guitar or the more likely scenario would be that it just needed a little love to get it up to its true tonal potential :AOK

8. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

If it's sitting out at GC where everyone can grope it.......draw your own conclusion.