335 Information Please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by digthosetubes, Feb 12, 2012.

1. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

What makes these guitars so popular -- but not up there with LPs and Strats.
    Can I get educated, please.
    Thanks.

2. BarryE

BarryE Member

for me a little fuller, mellower then a Les Paul, does jazzy clean tones beautifully, great size for comfortable playing and it is also a great felling to play with some volume and feel it breathe though the f-hole.

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Member

+1

Sprinter

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

Try one and you will see. They feel and react different from a solid body in a very good way.

5. digthosetubes

Thanks. I am interested in hearing from 335 enthusiasts. These guitars, it seems to me, are in the top five guitars on the planet, but I don't hear all that much about them -- and hope devotees will share the details they have found that make these guitars unique and special.

6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Funny I bought one last week, and love it.It's got everything wong with it...memphis made,non correct vintage specs, plain wood. It's a 2009 and my first ES335, and plays like a spreadable dairy product and sounds like the call of a siren. Played right before xmas and kept thinking about it all month. All I can say is the guitar seems to bring out different things in my playing more jazz/fusion and has a voice that is unique next to my Les Pauls. It will Nail Rush's working man then do nice Jazz riffing so very flexible. light wt and comfortable. one flaw is the knobs n switch are awkard to reach. They seeem to have avery nice defintion on the EAD when chording, at 10 on a plexi or 3 on a princeton

7. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I'll just submit a few clips, " the details they have found that make these guitars unique and special" will reveal themselves.

Hank Garland could be credited as the designer/co-designer of the ES-3X5 series.

Mr. 335

E.C.

Joe Bonamassa

8. digthosetubes

Excellent. I will listen and try to learn. I would love to hear them try to explain what they love about their 335s. I know that almost any guitar in the hands of guys like this is magic.

9. Kontalonis

Kontalonis Member

For me it's the perfect blues guitar. Flat radius so i can bend and thick humbucker sound but a bit less compressed due to the semi-hollow design. The semi-hollow design really pushes the 10s in my '67 Vibrolux Reverb around 7. Also, I pick it over my 175 in a gigging environment (i know they are different animals all together) because of its sturdiness. The 335 is so solid and really sturdy especially with the stop bar tail piece.
    My 335:
    [​IMG]

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The best of them have this twang going on, a lot more than I expected from a HB guitar. Something unique about that middle position. It can be jazz warm or almost rockabilly, depending on how you adjust the knobs and hit the strings. The feel varies a lot from one to the next ... on my '66 and a couple other old ones I've played, the responsiveness is endlessly rewarding. The design just works, it's that simple. A great guitar design.
    MD

11. pbmw

pbmw Member

There's just something about them. They're warm, round, woody...
    They give up the goods....
    There's just something about them. I'm not just sure what it is but I like it.
    They can be warm and evocative and then they can absolutely bark...
    I love em.

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

You must mean for those that have not discovered them yet.
    I play all three plus Teles.
    The 335s & Teles are at the top of the group for me, though I love them all.

13. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

For me, what's so great about a 335 is the subtlety of it. They're not going to jump up and hit you in the face with WOW!! the first time you pick one up and strum a few chords. You really have to spend some time with them to discover all their nuances.

14. digthosetubes

I meant in terms or units sold. I think LPs and Strats sell more than 335s.
    The 335 is one guitar I have yet to learn about. I own lots of fenders and even an LP and a Gibson Johnny A. I've played a 335 enough to be a little smitten.
    Finances aren't good and I have to be happy with what I have for now. But I can still dream.

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Because as soon as you hit that first note on a 335, you go 'there it is'. One of the truly iconic tones.

It's got that deep, woody, reedy, tenor that comes from no others, yet with a few turns of the pots on the guitar and amp it can go from smokey jazz to biting lead, sounding great all the way. An amazingly distinctive yet versatile tonal palette.

16. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

As anewbie to 335's that really shocked me how much twang and quack the middle has. like a fender but not in a good way.

17. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

18. bluesjuke

One of my favorite ever threads Pete!

19. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I own a red 1983 335 dot. From the Doobies, to Larry Carlton... it covers the widest range musical styles. Sweet smooth clean tones and can jump to dirty/nasty OD without any problem.

20. bluesjuke

I understood that.
    My response was partly sarcastic but the truth is that many have not tried them as have tried the other "known & more familiar" models too.