• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

335 Mono Vertigo GigBag

AndreasG

ok, I know many will say, absolutely no...broken headstock etc., but I use gig bags for all my guitars, carry vintage Firebirds and Les Pauls in Mono Vertigos that work just fine, as I travel in my car, handle my guitars...so I got a new old 335 that I wanted to get a Mono Vertigo for, but after a searchhere I saw some posts that say the 335 doesn‘t fit that well, especially in the headstock region it touches the bag...any users that can tell me more?

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I don't know about the Vertigo, I have an M80 semi hollow bag and have used it a lot with 335 and 345 and had no problems.

I guess the headstock system is a little different on the Veritgos so I can't say there.

Reactions: Roe

AndreasG

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
I’m one of the naysayers. I have an M80 dual and a single vertigo. They both put pressure on the back of a les Paul or duo jet headstock upon zipping up, and the cases deform a bit with movement or strapping then on your back, which could make it even worse.

I use this SKB instead, downside is that the stitching and material are not as tough as mono. But it comprises a rigid / formed foam shape that encases the whole guitar, basically a normal case without the abs or plywood shell. What someone needs to design is a sock of some type that fits around and provides shoulder straps for a Gibson hard case.

JiMB

Thanks, yes I think the Vertigo is a bit different, but I like it as it is slimmer and smaller than other quality gig bags. Anybody using the Starline from Rockbag?

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Gu...tarline-Hollow-Body-Guitar-Gig-Bag-Black/1JR6
I have. It's great for the Framus Panthera Supreme but that guitar has a smaller headstock with less of an angle than Gibson. I wouldn't trust my Les pauls in it. The neck support is just a soft pillow type thing.
I've been using a Mono Sleeve with my LP's for around town and I've flown with it as a carry on. I know the Sleeve won't work for a 335, though.

1973Marshall

I take my 335 around in a Mono M80 Acoustic for 4 years now without a hitch. I am sure the semi-hollow might be tighter but I haven't sensed any issues and its been carried around on subways and airplanes - so I have no problem endorsing how great they are.

It's also been wonderful to use as an actual acoustic gig bag for my Martins and Taylors.

AndreasG

Thx for the inputs so far. Any other good bags to consider? Reunion Blues seems nice but the Continentals are bulky...maybe the Vertigo is still the best option

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I also have Mono bags but I like the Gator GPro more. They seem beefier and really well built. Plus they are a little bit cheaper than the M80 stuff.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not a big fan of the Vertigo for Gibson guitars. I have an Access Stage 3 bag for my ES-225 and ES-335 and love it. The case is quite rigid when zipped up and it grabs the guitar by the lower bout and that keeps the headstock from shifting towards the end of the bag. It would take quite an event for the headstock to contact any inside surface of the bag.

Still, I store the guitar in a hard case at home and use a hard case whenever someone else might be handling the guitar or if it'll be packed with someone else's gear.

I'm looking for a similar bag for my Les Paul but can't find one that's reasonably priced and designed specifically for Les Pauls.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
I have used a Vertigo with a 335 with no problem. It is a bit of a tight fit, so I understand if others are more cautionary.

joevacc

I’ve been using this Reunion Blues for 4 or 5 years and I love it. Plenty of headstock room for my 335 and also my Epiphone Sheridan, which has a larger headstock, fits well too.

I’ve taken it on my motorcycle many times and the straps feel comfortable and secure.

Good luck,

om42

Wild Rose Country
Platinum Supporting Member
I have the vertigo semi-hollow bag and use it with my I35. I have been really happy with the fit but I think the lower bout on the I35 is slightly smaller than the 335. I also haul around a 360st in it but that one does move around a bit and would required additional padding if I was doing anything other than my commute to work...

fjrabon

I have the M80 dual acoustic electric and I put the 335 in the acoustic side and Les Paul in the electric side and have had zero issues. It is bigger, but the difference in size isn’t really that significant to me. I can still put it on my back, amp in one hand, pedalboard in the other hand, and do a full load in, 2 guitars, amp and pedals, with just one trip.

fjrabon

I also think a mono is safer than a hardhell case. I’ve seen a ton of Gibsons break in a hardshell case from a shock impact. While they’re hard, they transfer a lot of energy directly to the guitar’s neck on impact due to the rigidity.

The mono absorbs shocks very well. I’ve never heard of anybody suffering a headstock break in a mono. I’ve heard of literally dozens of headstock breaks in harshell cases.

Mono actually touts the fact that the back of the headstock touches the foam as a benefit. They say most in case headstock breaks occur because the momentum from the headstock has nothing impeding it in a drop, so that’s what causes the break when you open a harshell case that hasn’t been broken but somehow has a broken headstock guitar inside.

FWIW, my guitar center manager friend says he’s never received a broken headstock Gibson in one of Gibson’s crappy taco gig bags. But they’ve gotten dozens of broken headstocks over the years in hardshell cases.

Flight cases are on another level of safety obviously. But those Gibson style hardshell cases that higher end Gibsons come in are among the highest damage rates.

Last edited:

mikebat

I have a M80 for my Reverend Club King 290, a long scale hollowbody, with a slight neck tilt, but a straight pull headstock. I have gigged and travelled locally with it for two years now. I trust it.

I have a vertigo for a Tele Deulxe. I prefer the M80, but both are great bags.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom