335 tailpiece...

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Alright guys, getting some work done on my ES-335 and I woudl like some opinions on this issue...

It has the stock trapeze tailpiece still on it...

So...

-Leave it with the trap?

-Convert to a Bigsby?

-Convert to a stop bar?

I have no real interest in resale value.

I'm not a huge fan of the trap but it doesn't bug me...not sure if I'd use the Bigsby but I do think they are sexy...

Any thoughts???

Frenster

Put your Rock Face on!
I've come to like the trapeze, mainly because of the lack of break angle over the bridge. I think it sounds better.

That said, if you want a Bigsby, do it, and if you put a stop tailpiece, get one of the featherweight ones and put the strings through it backwards and wrap it over the top, that way there's less break angle over the bridge. Also, wind the string ABOVE the hole, not under it. Less break angle. IMHO.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
I don't mind the trapeze. I probably prefer the tunomatic/stoptail. Not really into Bigsbys on 335's.

I guess I would hesitate to convert a vintage mid-60's, but it's probably less of an issue for later guitars.

gmann

A good stop tail 335, it's hard to beat that! I've never liked trapeze TP's on 335's but that's just me. I prefer the stop but would have no problem with the Bigsby either.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
As a side note I do keep the stop tail on mine at a good height, many times the bottom of the stop tail equal or almost at the height of the bottom of the thumbwheels on the bridge. They sound better set up like that.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on how hard you play. A trapeze has the potential for moving around. I'm not a fan of Bigsbys on 335s. I had stupidly had a Kahler put on my '70s 335 back in the '80s. In the '90s, I switched it to a stop tailpiece and it was the most distinct sonic improvement I've ever had in a guitar. Not sure if Bigsbys are tone-suckers.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
I'd go Bigsby, but I like them. Thr Trapeze wouldn't offend me, either. For whatever reason, I stay away from the stop tails these days. I have no particular grudge or dislike of them...just that the guitars that really interest me don't have 'em.

Do you have other Bigsby-equipped guitars? Is there anything specifically that you don't like or aren't sure about with the trapeze?

Trending Topics