335, The One Guitar Most Guitarists Have Only ONE Of

tuumbaq

Wether it's a famous, semi famous or totally random player, I don’t know many who has more than one 335. You guys noticed that as well?

Watching too many rig rundowns, I often see guys using several Les Pauls, multiple Strats, Teles, Jazz, etc. but usually just the ONE 335.

I myself have a few of each types but only one 335. I never wanted more than that one or even ask myself If I'd want more until today. Wonder why that is…

Bluedano1

I know I'm an exception to many guitar players ( especially here!), but I don't own any multiples ( models) of any guitars I own.

That didn't use to always be the case, but years ago we really needed $$, and I didn't know what else to do, but sell off stuff that was not really being used on gigs ( all 'player' guitars and amps, nothing vintage).
So that 'just one of any guitar' thing kind of happened, over time. And I've stuck with that now, with anything new.

I do need an ES-335 type again, as I don't have one!

TooMuchFiber

Silver Supporting Member
I'm an exception since I have two, but I think you're right that it's rare. It might be because they are so expensive and because there is less variability in the models. In Les Pauls you might have one with low output pickups and another with high, but you're less likely to do that with a 335, right? I do want another one with Alnico 2 though (instead of the alnico 5s I have).

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Silver Supporting Member
I had 2 335 style guitars. Two different brands, which felt snd sounded very different. One is gone, replaced by an Eastman t484 (339 size). I prefer the variation between these two- much more like 2 very different animals.

CSB123

Yups, only one Gibson ES335 custom.

I dont have doubles of any guitar however.

That said i would like one of each in , regarding the ES-335
  • Antique Vintage Sunburst
  • Antique Natural
  • Antique Red
  • Antique Ebony
  • Larry Carlton Vintage Sunburst
  • Cherry
  • Faded Cherry
  • Light Burst
  • Walnut
  • Bright Bonnie pink

Danny W.

355 collection edit 1.jpg

Semis 1 small.jpg

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Technically I do only have one 335, but then there's the two 355s, two 330s, the Crest and the 320...

The think with 335s for me is they can sound really didn't too each other, so as a fan having a few makes sense as they definitely do different things. I appreciate this is the most TGP answer possible though, at least without trying to shoehorn something about relics, headstocks, taxes or quality control into the answer.

Enjoicube

Lol, it depends on what you define as a 335, but in terms of the basic style of guitar, I own 8 of them:

-2 USA Sheratons
-1 elitist sheraton
-1 elitist 335
-1 tokai ES 180
-1 epiphone riviera
-1 IBG 335
-1 Korean epiphone sheraton

If you can’t tell, I have a thing for semi-hollows. I’ve set them up so they are all a bit different, but I absolutely love the feel of a 335 style guitar.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
The only guitar I have 2 of is Strats. I’ve had 2 335s before. It’s just that I preferred one over the other by a wide margin.

Kurt L

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve never had a 335.

Had a ‘66 ES-330 for about 20 years, have a 339 and a 390. Those little ES guitars are fun!

ES-390 (black with mini-humbuckers) and ES-339 (red)

a2zzjGn.jpg

My old ES-330...
1eXz6Mh.jpg

Last edited:

Strummerfan

They are an expensive guitar to have doubles of. It's been a long time since I've had doubles of any guitar, and my 335 style guitar is another make, I don't have Gibson money right now. The only guitar I could see myself owning multiple of would be Strats and Teles, because there are so many distinct variations on those guitars.

Top Bottom