• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

335 Vibe From A Thinline?

Redbell

After playing mainly Teles & Strats for the last few years, I would like to get some of that semi-hollow sound with a twist of twang. I bought a 335 clone that was nice but I just couldn't get on with thhat huge, wide body, so back it went.
I'm wondering how much of that sound and feel from the '72 Thinline?

'72 and/or 69 style owners show us your guitars and tell us what you like about them as well as any issues, Thanks!

I've sworn off set neck guitars since H. Katrina, but you are not gonna get a 335 feel or sound out of a T type thinline - not only that, but you gotta work twice as hard IMO to get a Thinlined T or S bodied Fender style guitar to really sound fantastic, as compared to a solid body of the same basic design.

But they sure can be pretty. At least the '69s can.

PaddyBrumson

A compromise is a Reverend Manta Ray 290. Smaller than a 335 but a little bigger than a Tele thinline. If you don't mind a Gibson scale neck, you can get a lot of tonal variation with the tone knob and their bass contour knob. The bridge pup can get a little twang going.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Red:

The tele thinline types don't feel or sound much to me like my 335. A different animal, due in no small part to the scale length. One model that could do what you're asking I think is the Hamer Artist. A smaller semi-hollow type body, comes with HB or some with P-90s. I'm guessing you'd be in for a pickup swap ... the stock duncans in those guitars have not been my top choice in other guitars, so I'd probably be experimenting that way. But the basic concept sounds interesting. Somewhere between LP and 335.

84Bravo

Proud owner of a MIM '69 thinline here, custom pickups and replaced pots. It's my bar guitar. Been dropped off the strap, knocked around, beaten up, does the job quite well and I don't worry about someone ripping it off and clearly it can't be hurt. It sounds quite good, a different midrange from my solid body Tele. I've owned five 335s, maybe more, and it's nothing like them except for the fact that at stage volume I sometimes get the body to vibrate and push air out the f hole like a 335, though without the annoying feedback that comes with the latter. Like the OP, I gave up on 335s because they don't fit me and I find them uncomfortable to play while standing. I bought a 336 hoping that it would be 335-light, but couldn't bond with it either. Pity, because a 335 was the first electric I ever bought, a black 1969 model because I mistakenly thought that BB played a black one at the time. I do wish I had kept that one. Nothing sings quite like a great 335. I can't get my thinline to do that, but it does its own thing quite nicely. Different beasts.

gkoelling

A G&L ASAT Deluxe semi-hollow will get about as close as possible but, yeah, it's still a Tele style guitar, not a 335.

I had one for a while and thought it was real nice and did get "close." It had a JB/59 set up and tap switch, versatile guitar.

Good luck in your search.

Mwoodbro

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried an ES-339 to put you in the 335 ball park with a smaller body?

NoahL

A G&L ASAT Deluxe semi-hollow will get about as close as possible but, yeah, it's still a Tele style guitar, not a 335.

I had one for a while and thought it was real nice and did get "close." It had a JB/59 set up and tap switch, versatile guitar.

Good luck in your search.
I was going to make the same suggestion. I also think they make them in mahogany, which would help. I recently got an ASAT Special after a few years of not having one, and I love the top-loading Saddle Lock bridge. It gives less tension than a string-through bridge, and I think some of its beefiness translates to a warmer, wider tone. This is exactly what Tele purists don't want, sometimes, but if you want a T-body to have more "body," this helps. And you can still get twang out of an ASAT Special in the bridge position, but it's not the same as a standard Tele twang. It's analogous to the twang you would get out of an old Thinline with the wide-range humbuckers and the top-loading Fender hardtail Strat bridge. Anyhow, if you can find one of these to play, with a rosewood board (and especially in mahogany), you might like it.

shark_bite

I had a 69RI for about a year. Loved that guitar... but it was a Tele, not a 335. What I get from my H535 and what I got from that guitar are completely separate sounds. Furthermore, I did a blind shootout between my parts Tele and the 69RI both here and at the TDPRI... only about half the people could even tell the two Teles apart. I guarantee you if I had use the 535 it would have been more like 99%.

But man... that was a sweet sweet axe. I'd miss it if my Tele I'm playing now wasn't so damn cool.

teamdelfano

if you're looking for a smaller body, as someone said, hamer makes a small bodied semihollow. also, the ibanez as200 that i have has a much smaller body compared to the 335s that i've played. in comparing it to my friend's 535, its tiny :)

is there such thing as a fully hollow thinline? i know that there's at least a small block there to hold the pickups. look at the warmoth page http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Tele/ThinTele.aspx

there's got to be a way to hollow that out a bit more? also, if you were looking for something custom, perhaps you could have a tele made with the body hollowed out a bit more along with a set neck??

Redbell

Thanks, that's what I was afreaid of! I guess it's time to take a look at a 339 or a Hamer.

malabarmusic

After playing mainly Teles & Strats for the last few years, I would like to get some of that semi-hollow sound with a twist of twang...
I will disagree with the thread consensus, and suggest that depending on your tastes that the *RIGHT* Thinline could get you there.

The Fender Custom Shop now makes a "1950s Telecaster Thinline" that is based on a run of Chris Fleming Masterbuilt Nocaster Thinlines. I have one of the latter guitars, and it really does combine the best of the classic Tele tone with a dollop of warmth and bloom that you get from a traditional semi-hollow. No, it's never going to sound *exactly* like my 355, but by juggling the tone control and pickup selector -- and playing through an amp that allows the tone to breathe -- it's just stellar.

Another opinion came from some guy named David Grissom. In a VG interview from 3 years ago, he described his Fleming Thinline as follows: "It's badass - like a 335 meets a Tele."

I wouldn't waste time with an alder Thinline. Normally I'm not a wood snob, but I think a big part of the tonal recipe here is the lightweight swamp ash.

- DB

gkoelling

I was going to make the same suggestion. I also think they make them in mahogany, which would help. I recently got an ASAT Special after a few years of not having one, and I love the top-loading Saddle Lock bridge. It gives less tension than a string-through bridge, and I think some of its beefiness translates to a warmer, wider tone. This is exactly what Tele purists don't want, sometimes, but if you want a T-body to have more "body," this helps. And you can still get twang out of an ASAT Special in the bridge position, but it's not the same as a standard Tele twang. It's analogous to the twang you would get out of an old Thinline with the wide-range humbuckers and the top-loading Fender hardtail Strat bridge. Anyhow, if you can find one of these to play, with a rosewood board (and especially in mahogany), you might like it.
Yes, the ASAT Deluxe is a mahogany body and maple cap. A 12" radius is stock and no charge for rosewood.

Trending Topics