335ish guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by griff3, Jul 20, 2008.

1. griff3

griff3 Member

I'm looking for a new guitar in the Gibson 335 style. I'd love a 335, and may get one, but I'd like to look around at some other similar options.

I know about Epiphone Sheraton II guitars, but I also know that Ibanez and Yamaha (among others) make that style.

I don't care about the price, I play Suhr, Anderson, Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez guitars. I do this for a living.

Please include a website if you've got it. And if it's a discontinued guitar that's fine too, I'll loo it up on ebay. Thanks.

2. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

You really can't go wrong with one of the MIJ Tokai 335s...I bought an ES 120 about 7 months ago and absolutely love it...I previously owned a 1997 Gibby 335 and a 2000 Heritage 535...I wouldn't trade my Tokai for either of those guitars, that's how good they are. Straight out of the box the setup was perfect as was the intonation....fit and finish are flawless...fretwork is immaculate and top notch hardware and electronics....the people at Tokai really take pride in their work and it shows with their MIJ guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I never had the privilege of owning a real Gibson 335 yet but I have two Wasburn HB30's that I love. One's a '97 with real hot stock humbuckers and the other is a '05 with very nice sounding clean stock pickups. It's amazing how different 2 of the same model can sound opposite of each other thru the years.

They are made in Korea but don't let that scare you, great craftsmanship for the price.

BTW: the Washburn HB35 is the slightly more expensive model, Inlays and such.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

5. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

You're not missing anything.

6. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

7. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Ok....What 335 style guitar do you use?

8. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Uhhh...I posted it already...1st reply to the original post...it's the natural Tokai.

9. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

10. Dave Orban

I've owned two Historic Reissue '59 335s, as well as 4 vintage 335s/345s. The "new" stuff isn't even in the same ballpark as the older ones.

Collings comes a LOT closer to "vintage', while putting their own spin on it.

I haven't played the Tokais or the Edwards, so I really can't comment, other than that I have heard pretty good things about them. ;)

11. AC30LP

AC30LP Member

Brian Monty Blues Queen..hands down smokes any gibson 335---old or new.

12. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

Heritage 535 with Tom Holmes humbuckers. (I never use the other pots, so I take them out, master volume, master tone).

[​IMG]

13. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

I agree...I had a mid to late 60s 335 twelve string (I strung it with six) that was incredible, very resonant, responsive...sounded great plugged in and unplugged...my 1997 paled in comparison...it was dull and lifeless unplugged and the crossed over to it when it was plugged in...overall a very uninspiring guitar.

14. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

I'm quite partial to the Trini Lopez. Think 335 with diamond shaped sound holes and neck inlays. This one is a '66 with "Ted Greene mods" (bigsby, varitone, coil selectors and phase switches) all done when new.

Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters plays 'em. In fact I think there is a Dave Grohl model out there...

A great alternative to the 335.
    [​IMG]

15. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

I had a '66 Guild Starfire V and '74 Starfire IV, both excellent. I also have an Epiphone Riviera (Korean) that's very good. I found it for $250. on Craig's list.

16. Dave Orban

Trinis ARE cool, but the necks are too thin for my tastes...

17. shally

shally Member

respectfully, you need to think about price because there is going to be a huge difference between ibanez/yamaha/epiphone and the upper tier
    of guitars like the re issues and collings..

one guitar i would think about, although i have ZERO personal experience, is the new sadowski version on the theme.. they have a great rep and i dont know anybody who complains about the workmanship or sound of any of his guitars..

18. griff3

griff3 Member

All I mean is that I don't need to stay in any particular price range.

I have heard good things about the sadowsky's, and even played one for a few minutes the other day that a friend of mine just got. Great instrument, no doubt.

Thanks for all the options so far. I would have not thought of the Collings or Tokai at all, so that's great food for thought.

I'll keep you up to date on my search.

19. hank

hank Member

Had a pretty good '99 Gibson ES-335 but it wasn't as good as these Tokais. Just my own experience. Great value and equal or better quality than the Gibsons.

[​IMG]