339 neck pup orientation issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drjoel, Jun 25, 2008.

1. drjoel

drjoel Silver Supporting Member

pup is slanted and mis-positioned in relation to strings and body. if you look at it straight on it looks OK. do other 339's share this issue? what's the fix? will turning the ring around do it? appreciate any input.:dude

2. Magnatone1960

Magnatone1960 Member

Pretty much common to all 339s. Turning the ring will help. If you read through some of the 339 threads here a few people have done it.

3. scanlory

scanlory Member

Yep, just turn the ring around, and it should be pretty much level w/ the strings.

4. dre

dre Member

just put a tiny little piece of foam between the pickup and the wood in the cavity under the p/u ring. you don't need to remove the pickup to do it, just tuck it in there with a tooth pick or paper clip. That's what I did on mine.

dre

5. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Isn't the neck pu on a 335 oriented the same way, not parallel with the strings?

6. tybone

tybone Member

Don't change it. It's part of the mojo!

7. hardys

hardys Member

335s, 345s and 355s, have been that way as long as I can remember.

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

same here.

9. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I agree. I'm definitely gonna always keep mine that way.

10. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

I flipped mine before I ever plugged it in. I've done it with just about ever ES33* I've ever had.

11. hardys

hardys Member

There is a huge thread here on TGP about 339s. It's mostly about peoples opinions of them and about the blems MF was selling on the cheap. One particular critique I found amusing was that allot of guys thought the angled pickups were a defect, or something that simply fell through the cracks with Gibson's quality control. :rotflmao

I've been buying, selling and playing 335 type Gibsons for 35 years and have NEVER heard anybody complain about this until the 339 came out. Most of them I bought used and I don't remember ever seeing one with the rings reversed. IMHO, the 335 style was Gibsons Grand Slam...the most versatile and one of the best sounding electric guitars ever made. They're at home with just about every musical style...Jazz, Blues, Rock, Soul, Polkas. They don't need any fixing!

12. stucker

stucker Member

Interesting topic. I bought my '64 335 back in the late 70's and noticed the neck pickup not being level with the strings. I just rotated the ring and never thought about it again. Now you are telling me it should be the other way!

The guitar sounds fantastic - especially the neck postion. It's the only older guitar I've kept all the years I've been playing.