34 years ago today.....

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Platinum Supporting Member
I worked my first day as a "luthier"...at Oxbow Music in Chapel Hill, NC.
I havent had any other line of work ever since. Pretty darn scary!

Oh what a strange trip it's been. Give me a good night's sleep and I still wake up loving guitars. Weird.

monacosis

congratulations Terry! you are fortunate to be doin' what you love..

mike

p.s.: maybe one of these days i can stop by and say hello!!

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Not everybody finds a profession they love and although I don't own one of your models, I know enough to say from pics and the quality of your guitars, (plus what others have said) show you to up there with the best.

May you continue to build great guitars in good health...☺

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
Nothing better than doing what you love for a living and continuing to love it after a whole bunch of years.

Cheers to you, Terry! :beer And best wishes for a whole bunch MORE years.

reentune

Silver Supporting Member
A lucky man works at what he loves.

Congratulations, and thanks for your substantial contributions.

slyzspyz

Congratulations Terry, it's great to be in music and to love your job:)
Given that you are enjoying such a lengthy and satisfying career, do you think the "recent" development of the internet has changed the way you go about your work i.e. apart from marketing and promotion?

The Kid

You've come a long way baby!!! :)
Congrats man, you make beautiful instruments.
Wishing you the best on the next 34 years and beyond.

Terry McInturff

do you think the "recent" development of the internet has changed the way you go about your work i.e. apart from marketing and promotion?
First many thanks for all of the kind words as always. I posted this thread because it just dawned on me what the date is, and I kind of freaked out a bit. I mean, Im only 53! Doing this for so long strikes me as...well, I guess it's just one of those "mid-life" moments. I'm not sure what to think.

By my calculations...given a 40 hour week (and we builders put in more hours than that) Ive been in a guitar shop environment for.......
64,000 HOURS.
No doubt, I am a very lucky man indeed. But that figure gives me pause for thought!!!!!!!!!

Slzspyz,

Ive learned things via the internet of course...but by the time I got "on-line" in aprox 1995 or so...I was doing things pretty much the same way as I do now. The great thing...that keeps me interested...is that it's impossible to ever know close to EVERYTHING about what I do.

Pfeister

First many thanks for all of the kind words as always. I posted this thread because it just dawned on me what the date is, and I kind of freaked out a bit. I mean, Im only 53! Doing this for so long strikes me as...well, I guess it's just one of those "mid-life" moments. I'm not sure what to think.

By my calculations...given a 40 hour week (and we builders put in more hours than that) Ive been in a guitar shop environment for.......
64,000 HOURS.
No doubt, I am a very lucky man indeed. But that figure gives me pause for thought!!!!!!!!!

Slzspyz,

Ive learned things via the internet of course...but by the time I got "on-line" in aprox 1995 or so...I was doing things pretty much the same way as I do now. The great thing...that keeps me interested...is that it's impossible to ever know close to EVERYTHING about what I do.
I've always appreciated that about you builders that have been around for a long time. Not only would learning to build a guitar would be much more difficult without the internet, but the fact that you guys could stay in business without that extra exposure is unbelievable!

Terry McInturff

I've always appreciated that about you builders that have been around for a long time. Not only would learning to build a guitar would be much more difficult without the internet, but the fact that you guys could stay in business without that extra exposure is unbelievable!
Well, you know that up to 1988 repairs/restorations were my bread-and-butter. I was building of course but the repairs paid the bills. I was also trying to be a Rock Star during the '80's. There was always just enough label interest to keep that carrot dangling in front of my face. Paul Smith was smart enough to let that dream go and to get into production when he did. He's smarter than me.

I think that the greatest blessing bestowed upon me (besides my customers) were all of those repair years. I just cant fathom forging ahead into building without it. I learned so much from acoustic instruments that apply to my electric guitars.

Lunch over...I feel better...thanks to all again.

Shreve

Katzenjammer Kid
Double Platinum Member
Cool stuff! Dig your work. Here's to another 34!

(If we're still on the right side of the dirt, by then! :hide2)

amc

terry
you should have tremendous pride in your spectacular achievements.
i admire you and the beautiful instruments that you create..............

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations Terry !! The 32 years is one thing and thats great it truly is, but what gets me is the mojo. Where did you get that? Can I buy it somewhere? Yea I know it's time induced. I know those Carolinas are Mojo Injected and that's a fact nobody can take away from you. Magical Guitars! I hope we're all here in 32 more years and I can come down and prop on my cane and watch you do your magic. Thanks for maken my music so much better, your truly a special talent. Keep up the awesome work.

David Myka

Terry, this is what makes you one the most important builders in the field. Your depth of experience along with your very thorough approach to instrument building is a testament to these years being very well spent. Thanks for the many in depth contributions!~

~David

Trending Topics