$3400 canadian for an axe fx....would u?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Grasley, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Grasley

Grasley Member

Hey guys!!! Like i said in an earlier post, im very close to buying an axe fx XL.....but with the exchange rate for the canadian dollar the axe fx ends up being around $3400....am i crazy to pay that much or is it worth it?

Thanks guys!!

2. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

Of course it's crazy. So do it!

3. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Never....When you get into that territory, I'd rather have a nice amp. The problem right now as you pointed out is the exchange rate. You are literally paying another close to 30% on top of the price due to the lousy exchange rate. Find a used one at a better deal. There are some out there.

4. Grasley

Grasley Member

The $3400 doesnt include the foot controller....the foot controller would be another $1000 roughly....stinkin' expensive. In canada there isnt even an axe fx 2 for sale anywhere

5. sleewell

sleewell Member

if it were me i would get a Peters instead.

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

That's about $2720 USD, so $220 more than we pay here. I don't think I'd let that stop me.

If it's too much of a price difference, you could always drive down here and buy one.

7. Grasley

Grasley Member

Whether it gets shipped or i go and get it, i still lose 30% on the american dollar

8. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have been saving for a Kemper and it's remote. I read the manual for the Axe-FX XL, and the midi board and realized that my limited knowledge of how this unit would need to be run is way beyond my capabilities. Hell, I'm still shaking at the thought that the Kemper may be out of range of my intellectual capabilities, and although I don't have one yet, I constantly read and re-read the user manuals for it.

If you can understand how the unit works, and desire it, I would not settle for less. It will always be in the back of your mind if you decide against buying it. I am not trying to enable you, although it sounds that way, I know.

If I had the capability to understand such a complex system and felt that I could learn and run it, I would want to get it.

Even though I'm sure newer and better versions will eventually be released, how much can you not do with what is already available in the Axe?

9. Der JD

Der JD Member

Can only speak from my perspective...that much money for an Axe is absolutely insane.

If you're rich or money is no object, go for it. There are plenty of people who spend over 10k for a single guitar without batting an eye.

10. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

You have to focus on the value it brings to you not the price. For me the axe is my only "amp", my toolbox. Would I rather have 2 great amps to give me a great clean & a great gain sound with all the pedals. For me it's a no way.
    I know many musicians who's have a lot more invested on keyboards, bass, drums, cello, violins, and they are not rich.

11. svl

svl Supporting Member

I would. The Axe is so worth it to me that I bought a second XL as my backup. No way I want to get caught at a gig without one, they're THAT good (IMO).

12. Nota

Nota Member

Heck, PM me. I'll buy one for you and ship it for... well, cheaper than it would cost to buy it there :)

13. gtr37

gtr37 Member

where are you seeing those prices ??.If you go to Fractal it converts it with the UPS shipping etc .the MK is 1995 delivered like 2400

14. Grasley

Grasley Member

You re right the mk2 calculates to $2400 shipping/tax in....but since i live in canada, my dollar is worth only 70% of the USA dollar with fees....so i have to tack on 30% ontop of the $2400 which kicks it up to over 3k....

15. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I've owned it it's very cool. You can sound totally professional on it as many sound clips and user experiences confirm. But it's all about your expectations going in. If you want to plug in have your world changed, you'll most likely be disappointed. Many people are. But if you're collecting tools whether for your live rigs or for your recording situations, this ranks among the best tools ever made for guitar. But if you think you sound kinda sloppy through a (real) cranked low gain plexi, I got news for you - the axe fx ain't gonna solve that. If you want every conceivable guitar sound with incredible effects and limitless routing and configuration you'll be blown away. All depends on what you need versus what the black box actually does. 3400 may be cheap vs 75k worth of amps, cabs and effects. Or it may be expensive if your current gear sounds great and what you really need is to woodshed your chops.

16. KelsterVonShredster

KelsterVonShredster Supporting Member

Here's my two cents, from a fellow canadian that just bought the "regular" Axe II and yes it cost me an arm and a leg but it's totally worth it. I stupidly returned my first Axe FX II (firmware 10 I believe) as I only used decent headphones as a sound guage...that was an epic mistake. Had I had much better quality monitors I never would have returned the first one. It wasn't until I kept watching videos and hearing these incredible tones did I think that I just might have screwed up big time and yes, I was an idiot...oh well, we all make mistakes. The second time I got it, the same day I went to my local music store and dropped another grand on some Yamaha HS8's and holy freakin' crap my mind was literally blown by how good the sound was. I've owned the Kemper too and I also have no doubt that would have sounded killer through these monitors. I'm now anxiously awaiting the ability to purchase my first active Atomic CLR wedge which is proving to be a frustrating experience. Conclusion: GO FOR IT ! When it think of the thousands I've spent and lost on buying/trading amps and pedals I could have bought 2 or 3 Axe FX's with foot controllers and CLR wedges and STILL come out ahead....sigh. The affliction of GAS can be brutal at times lol....

17. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL Member

I'd wait to find a normal II used sometime. Its not worth it at all right now new. Keep in mind shipping with UPS will add another ~600 to that price. Not worth it.

18. awdwon

awdwon Member

Don't forget you'll probably be charged tax as well once it crosses the border.

19. Lef T

Lef T Member

Yes you'll be dinged with a 13% tax at the border

20. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

Personally I would not. I'm hoping by the time I'm ready to buy a Kemper (or whatever is available at that point), the gap will have closed a bit on the exchange rate.