350+ Guitars coming up for auction

Steve Dallas

IIRC the EJ Martin went for $3200.

I don't see the auction results on BidSpotter's page yet. They might be up in a few days. You have to register to see them and I don't know if you can do it after the fact.

Last edited:

zeusmoose

So the great majority of the in-house high bidding was done by a couple of bidders? I was sure that was going to be the case and once again points to this being rigged. The kind of fool willing to make that many bad decisions isn't the same one that has that kind of money.

Kurzman

Silver Supporting Member
I really don't think this auction was rigged. The auction was ordered by a Federal bankruptcy court. The auction house was a very professional outfit and I think for them, auctioning off $3000 guitars was small change. They auction real estate, etc. One of the guys told me it wasn't unusual for them to be auctioning off quarter million dollar lots one after the other.

You would think that they would want to keep their status with a Federal court or judge and that it simply would be stupid to risk their reputation to shill-bump up a Les Paul from $2200 to $2700 or something.

I think the reason that many of the lots went to alot of the same bidders was that there were reps from national music store chains willing to spend what it takes to stock some of this very desirable stock. And those guys have access to high roller guys all over the country (and the world) that simply don't care that the guitar they just bought for $7500 could have been bought on eBay after searching 6 months for $5500.

Guitarworks

Yeah, I saw everything for that auction a few weeks ago. Looks like a couple high-end dealers going under. Duplicates and triplicates of a lot of expensive guitars; lots of signature, tribute and very custom Gibsons.

TattooedCarrot

aka GearPig
Silver Supporting Member
The only one I was interested in was actually the GOTW 61RI SG in Satin Walnut, its not an expensive guitar, worth maybe $1100 in the regular market....anyone know what it went for?

I suppose we can start watching for these to pop up on ebay or dealer websites and see who bought what and what they're trying to flip them for.

DBL59

The 61 walnut satin gotw went for $1500.
I was surprised at how high most of the items went for. It didn't make sense. On some of the items I'm familiar with the prices were higher than Ebay going prices.

TattooedCarrot

aka GearPig
Silver Supporting Member
The 61 walnut satin gotw went for $1500.
I was surprised at how high most of the items went for. It didn't make sense. On some of the items I'm familiar with the prices were higher than Ebay going prices.
Thanks for checking......That's insane.

Hard2Hear

I bet Guitar Center got most of them.

I highly doubt that. These were all very recent guitars that GC could have bought new from manufacturer for 30-50% of what any of those went for at this auction. Zero vintage and many with questionable re-sellability in the real world.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
I highly doubt that. These were all very recent guitars that GC could have bought new from manufacturer for 30-50% of what any of those went for at this auction. Zero vintage and many with questionable re-sellability in the real world.

Hard2Hear has the right answer.

I met a customer in my store today who bought more than GC did. Sam Ash had 4 reps there, and I heard some place in Atlanta...not sure who, was paying a pretty penny for a lot of guitars.

jthomps123

Yes Sam Ash was there, flew in to get 'half on the dollar', bought nothing. A couple of guys bought a s-ton of stuff. One backed up a 20-24' trailer to load up his haul at the end of the day. Not many good deals to be had. A couple Les Pauls went late -that were duplicates of earlier guitars that went for MUCH more- that were a decent deal. Two guys pretty much priced everyone out of the guitars - an seriously overpaid. Even late in the day some kid paid $600 for a dirty Blues Deville, and a PRS SE went for $900. I think many of the participants got lost in the moment, and overbid, akin to ebay when you ending up fighting someone at the last moment to 'win' the auction even though you didnt want to pay that much, or even really want the item.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Oh man, that SRV #1 price was great as was the Clapton 335s...good thing my wife had me running errands on Saturday...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom