• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

$3700+tax for a new Two Rock K&M Ltd, reasonable?

shredmaster

that's quote we got from one of dealer here in new york city. my bandmate is looking to buy one. I figure maybe I should do a price check here at TGP. what do you guys think?

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
Is it a "New in box" amp? One that never sold? There is a used one for sale in the emporium for ~$3900 and I am guessing there is no tax on that one.

As far as I know, they don't make that model anymore so I guess if your bandmate wants one they would have to figure out if the asking price is worth it to him/her.

Last edited:

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I think the market value of that amp is $2,500 - new or used.

The TGP seller is selling it as a "collector's item" and has it priced accordingly. I do not believe it has collector value.

Just my opinion, having been a 3-time buyer of older (used) TR amps.

shredmaster

thanks for the responses guys! My bandmate does not like buying used stuff. I like the number throwing out here but the questions is where can he get the unopened, brand new one for $2500.. lol

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
Good luck finding a "brand new one in an unopened box"......they haven't been made for years. Unless someone bought one from K&M years ago and stashed it under their bed. They are great amps; I have Ltd. #11. Only about 25 of them were made, if memory serves me correctly.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Jeez, I almost never buy new gear, and I don't think I've ever been burned, not even once (Knock wood). I wouldn't pay an over $1k premium for "new in box". Folks tend to take pretty good care of boutique gear.

GasMask

Good luck finding a "brand new one in an unopened box"......they haven't been made for years. Unless someone bought one from K&M years ago and stashed it under their bed. They are great amps; I have Ltd. #11. Only about 25 of them were made, if memory serves me correctly.
Yup. It seems unlikely to be a "new in the box" amp. If, by some chance, it IS, then I think the price is reasonable. It would probably be the only Ltd. "new in the box" on the planet! Now, whether it's worth it is an entirely different debate. But if the buyer is insisting on a new one, and the Ltd. is the exact amp he wants...... Check out the pricing on the better current Two-Rock models- $5K and up.

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I am pretty sure that there is a place in NYC that I have heard had a small stash of K&M amps that never sold. They have had them NIB ever since and have not lowered their price. There was an Opal for sale not long ago that was essentially brand new fully equipped with NOS 7581 tubes and all. The used one isn't worth the asking price IMHO and is probably worth somewhere around the $2500-$3K tops but the new one is probably worth more.

vivalaking

I am pretty sure that there is a place in NYC that I have heard had a small stash of K&M amps that never sold. They have had them NIB ever since and have not lowered their price. There was an Opal for sale not long ago that was essentially brand new fully equipped with NOS 7581 tubes and all. The used one isn't worth the asking price IMHO and is probably worth somewhere around the $2500-$3K tops but the new one is probably worth more.
You will never recoup your initial investment on a boutique amp like a Two Rock. As a case study-

I bought that Opal you speak of- sat in the office of a Boutique amp dealer for 10 years, and then was put on sale this year. It's already seen 2 owners before I bought it, both had it for less than 3 months. It was a good investment for both of them tone wise, not financially. Same with me, though I don't plan on selling it.

First owner paid around $4k because it was New Old Stock from the NYC dealer- I waited 6-7 months and bought it used for a $1400 discount. I don't think it's worth the premium. I waited because I knew what was reasonable for me, and sure enough, it came around eventually. Your friend will never recoup his expenditures on a new Two Rock. Unless it's very very rare, like 1 in existence rare, or it has some history like it was signed by xyz artists and dumble coughed on it and so on, or a mayer sig, it won't happen. That LTD is nice, but for what you gain over similar K&M/Two Rocks is marginal for that kind of extra dough. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
The only used Two Rock that is selling for what it was new is the Mayer Sig. In fact, they are going for more than they sold for new.

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
You will never recoup your initial investment on a boutique amp like a Two Rock. As a case study-

I bought that Opal you speak of- sat in the office of a Boutique amp dealer for 10 years, and then was put on sale this year. It's already seen 2 owners before I bought it, both had it for less than 3 months. It was a good investment for both of them tone wise, not financially. Same with me, though I don't plan on selling it.

First owner paid around $4k because it was New Old Stock from the NYC dealer- I waited 6-7 months and bought it used for a $1400 discount. I don't think it's worth the premium. I waited because I knew what was reasonable for me, and sure enough, it came around eventually. Your friend will never recoup his expenditures on a new Two Rock. Unless it's very very rare, like 1 in existence rare, or it has some history like it was signed by xyz artists and dumble coughed on it and so on, or a mayer sig, it won't happen. That LTD is nice, but for what you gain over similar K&M/Two Rocks is marginal for that kind of extra dough. Just my thoughts.
There will always be folks who prefer to buy their stuff new and those who don't. I personally think that if you can get the deal you got that us the best route, but you have to be patient. I just had a similar experience buying a TS1. It sat in a shop for two years before I bought it, and I was able to snatch it up for a price I could afford although it was still more than I ever thought I would pay for an amp.

Its worth it too me. The TS1 may not be Two Rocks best amp although I like what it can do. I do wish it was 100w though.

vivalaking

There will always be folks who prefer to buy their stuff new and those who don't. I personally think that if you can get the deal you got that us the best route, but you have to be patient. I just had a similar experience buying a TS1. It sat in a shop for two years before I bought it, and I was able to snatch it up for a price I could afford although it was still more than I ever thought I would pay for an amp.

Its worth it too me. The TS1 may not be Two Rocks best amp although I like what it can do. I do wish it was 100w though.
In my eyes the TS1 is one of their best!! Enjoy it. But yea, buy it because you want it. Not because it might sell for more, some umpteen years from now.

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
In my eyes the TS1 is one of their best!! Enjoy it. But yea, buy it because you want it. Not because it might sell for more, some umpteen years from now.
Thanks, I really have enjoyed the TS1 so far. It makes me want to play all the time and I never stop when I have had enough, only when when I have to be doing other things. I can't believe they aren't more popular although their prices are a touch out of whack with other builders.

...Anyone buying gear as a finacial investment should seek some professional advice.

Trending Topics