3M Dual Lock?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peacebone, Jun 7, 2008.

1. peacebone

peacebone Member

I've got a PT-2 on the way, and I've been doing research on the velcro that's included with it. General consensus from the older threads seems to be that the PT velcro isn't the greatest, and that 3M dual lock is a good alternative. My questions about the dual lock system:

1) How easy is it to separate the pedal from the board in order to switch up FX boxes?

2) How easy is it to get off your pedal?

2. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

Regular velcro is easier. The dual lock snaps or pops into place. Once locked into place it is very strong and durable. However, seperating the connected strips of tape is tough and after about 20 seperations the tape loses its holding strength. As I've posted once before I have two motorcycles with extended windshields. They are both held on with dual lock tape as reccomended by the manufacture. They've held fast at up to 150mph, 20,000 mi., and several years. I think the stuff is magic but more applicable to situations where there will be more permanancy. Still, you should try some because it's pretty neat stuff.

3. peacebone

peacebone Member

Thanks for the response, theflyingturtle.

4. somedude

somedude Member

My PedalTrain just arrived yesterday. The board is great, but the velcro sucks hard.

I have some 3M industrial grade velcro on my old home made board, the stuff works great (requires some level of force to pull pedals apart) and doesn't wear out like the dual lock stuff does.

5. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Toss the velcro which comes with you PT, it does SUCK. :BITCH

Go to Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and buy a roll of the industrial strength velcro. Follow the instructions too.

It is worth the trip and the $25.00 for the roll.

6. peacebone

peacebone Member

I recall many people saying that the industrial strength stuff is actually easier to remove from the pedal (for resales, etc) than the cheaper stuff...true?

7. somedude

somedude Member

I don't know if it's easier than the cheaper stuff, but it does come off.

8. peacebone

peacebone Member

I appreciate the help.

Any reccomendations to which kind/brand of heavy-duty velcro? Or should I go to home depot and ask for industrial strength velcro?

9. somedude

somedude Member

It's labeled industrial strength velcro, you can't miss it.

It's in the section of the store with all the misc furnature foot pads and picture hanging wire. If you can't find it, just ask where they keep the velcro.

10. peacebone

peacebone Member

thanks screamingdaisy. I'll make sure to pick some up. I'm a little bit hesitant about velcroing some of my boutique pedals, but I guess it's par for the course at this point.

11. somedude

somedude Member

Once you're done with them you can always go back to the same section and buy the same rubber footpads that they use.

12. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I actually like the pedaltrain velcro you just need to have full coverage areas and you cant geat away with tiny little strips or anything like that. I have to yank my pedals off the board with a ton of force to get it off sometimes. It also comes off of pedals without residue when you want it gone. I hate getting pedals from people where its the sort of smoother plastic type velcro (not dual lock) that has a thicker gummy adhesive. That stuff takes about 30 minutes of work to get all the bits off.

13. somedude

somedude Member

Take the piece of velcro you just peeled off, then stick it back on the pedal over the gummy stuff that's left behind, then pull off. Repeat as neccissary. Takes me about 30 seconds to clean up a pedal that way.

The stuff that comes with the PedalTrain would be fine if I wasn't trying to hold a wah down. Everytime I tip the board sideways to do something under it I can hear it begining to tear away. It didn't do that with the industral grade stuff.

14. peacebone

peacebone Member

Looks like I'd better invest in some industrial strength stuff rather than dual lock

15. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've always been amazed at these threads. I've used a PT Jr and a PT 2 for years with the Velcro that came with them and I have NEVER had a problem with it.

16. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

What I don't like about velcro though is how when I bring my pedalbaords home from the rehearsal room or a gig, my dog's hair sticks to the velcro and carpeted pedalboard surface. Maybe I'm the only one with this problem though.

17. peacebone

peacebone Member

I was searching old threads and doing research about PTs because I have one in the mail...and every other post was bashing their stock velcro. The people who are vocally happy with it seem to be in the minority

18. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

You've obviously never tried to affix your pedalboard to the ceiling of a stealth bomber.

19. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

I've seen someone with Dual-Lock that is the same width as the Pedaltrain board beams, that worked great for them...I wish I knew where they got it, because that stuff is magic.

20. peacebone

peacebone Member

lmao

Props to anybody who can answer my original questions about 3M dual lock:

1) How easy is it to separate the pedal from the board in order to switch up FX boxes?

2) How easy is it to get off your pedal?