3pdt footswitch popping

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clapointe, Aug 25, 2005.

1. clapointe

clapointe Member

I just had a 3pdt footswitch installed in my MXR Micro Chorus and when you step on it there is a loud popping nosie !!!! What can be done ?

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

try unplugging the pedal and then keep pressing the switch about 20-25 times. that should break it in.

3. ThunderTomate

ThunderTomate Member

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Or break it.

Although it's common, this advice really annoys me - switches have a life expectancy measured in numbers of cycles. If you deliberately cycle the switch repeatedly like that every time you use it, you're massively shortening its life. Just hammering away at the switch doesn't cure the problem anyway usually.

You need those resistors, or possibly to have the input and output coupling caps in the pedal replaced as well.

Cool pedal BTW :).

5. mustangman

mustangman Member

it always worked for me

6. MrSage

MrSage Member

It's not popping because it needs to be "broken in," though...

The popping has to do with the fact that you're making and breaking a circuit, so there's buildup of charge in there.

One thing that helps is to switch the effect on and off before turning the amp up. It'll still pop, but you can't hear it when the amp is down. That can help keep popping to a minimum the next time you hit the switch (when the amp is turned up).

You can also wire up pulldown resistors, as suggested. This is as easy as putting a 1Meg resistor between the "hot" and "ground" lugs of your input and output jacks.

Finally, the method I use is to wire the switch up so that the input is grounded when in bypass mode. None of my effects pop anymore. I'm guessing that your switch uses 8 of the 9 lugs. Well, the alternate wiring method uses all 9 and grounds the board input when the effect is bypassed.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I think as the others have indicated , (MR Thundertomate in Spain makes a KILLER FUZZ Btw!) the resisters are necessary in the MXR conversion.. I'm not a tech , but long ago converted an old Mxr Flanger based on someone telling me what to do , and the resisters were necessary in that one

ERIC

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

It's actually pretty much the same for any circuit, so the MXR won't be much different. A lot of builders do both the grounded input and the pulldown resistors.

9. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

You don't want to put them on the jacks. If you do that they will always be in the circuit whether bypassed or not. Also it will still pop because the caps that are building up the charge are not connected to the resistors until it is swicthed on, resulting in the pop again.

A good place to put them is on the switch where the input and/or output of the board is connected.

Another thing that causes pops is that some effects will have voltage riding on the audio signal causing the pop.
    Sometimes ground loops can also cause these pops.
    One effect in your chain that has that voltage on it can cause all or any other effects in the chain to pop also.

If you have a properly grounded system, with no effects with voltage hitching a ride on your audio signal, and you use the pull down resistors you should have a pop free setup. But like I said, all it takes is one effect to mess up the whole system. A lot of times the effect that is poping isn't even the one causing the pop!

10. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

HERE'S a link to the grounded input wiring if you wanna break out the soldering iron.

11. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

What Bob wrote is 100% correct,
    I could not have said it better.

Ed R.