3PDT switch with built in LED

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Aug 19, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

......does anyone make em???????

T'would be a good idea methinks. would anyone here buy them?:hide

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

My concern is dependability regarding footswitches. Build a sturdier switch and I'm there. LED... I can do without.

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

There is essentially one company making 3pdts for pretty much everyone on the market and some builders think even those are garbage. If you added an LED you would only increase durability issues and the physical size of the switch whouls would both be negatives.

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

True. But they do vary a bit. I have found Cliff USA to have superior switches to the other "blue" ones you get from the usual retail outlets. AND, I'm working with another pedal manufacturer who designed an even more superior switch and gets them custom made. They are more expensive, but if they meet up to both of our expectations, it will be worth it.

5. whoismarykelly

Now that I think about it. Most of the switch failure issues that come up have to do with assembly technique rather than wear and tear on the switch itself. The problem with the LED in the switch to me is that you couldn't sww it while stepping. Doesn't seem like a big deal but a good number of people complain about not being able to see the LED when they step on the switch.

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

well if the LED was installed by the factory which lug would it be connected to? What if you wanted to wire it differently?

7. whoismarykelly

The switch would most likely have LED contacts in addition to the rest of the 3pdt. It might even become a 4pdt but the regular contacts would likely be separate from the LED function. Bottom line - it would probably get really expensive.

8. IvIark

IvIark Member

No because if it had a built in LED you'd only need a DPDT switch

9. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

I've seen lots of illuminated switches, but I've never seen one intended for stomping on. The plunger would have to be transparent or translucent plastic, which just seems like it would break too easily.

If I saw one then I'd have to be convinced it was super tough before I'd put one in a pedal.

10. whoismarykelly

There is a whole shitload of stuff you can do with a 3pdt beyond true bypass circuits. There are a lot of times where I have to use a 4pdt to do some switching and still have an LED.

11. IvIark

IvIark Member

I didn't say there wasn't anything you could do with it. But the popular one would be DPDT. Hell a 10PDT would be very useful but in reality you wouldn't use them very much.

How many 3PDT stomps do you have on hand right now compared to 4PDT?

12. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

I gotta ask.... if you know a pedal is off, and you hit the switch to "on", why do you need to see the led when your foot is over the top of it? Not trying to be sarcastic, I just don't understand why one would complain about not being able to see the led when they step on the switch.
    bw