3rd gig with the Quilter Tone Block

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I got the Quilter Tone Block a few months ago. I had previously taken it out on 2 other gigs. Each time the Quilter performed well. Good, consistent sound. Easy load in. Very pleased.

Well, after really taking some time to get used to it, explore all the settings, try it with different setups, etc, I took it to a medium sized outdoor gig last night....

I used the TB into a Matrix NL12 for my stage volume, and also used the built in DI straight to the PA. For this gig, I also used my JHS ColourBox as a preamp, just to add a touch more color, along with my pedalboard. Everything sounded great. My electric guitar sounded wonderful. This was the first time I have been totally happy with a lightweight solution (as opposed to a tube amp) for both my stage and DI sounds. My banjo also sounded fabulous through the rig. After years of experimenting with full range rigs to cover both my electric and acoustic, I think I am happiest yet with using the Tone Block for this purpose. My "base" tone consisted of using the Colourbox, SlideRig ch 1, Topanga, and MF Trem to create a huge, airy clean tone that has a "rootsy" sound and can occupy a good amount of space in a mix.

The biggest "secret" with the Tone Block is volume. Even though it is a solid state amp, I am realizing that guitar speakers like to be opened up as well as tube amps. The DI sounded fabulous from the TB at ALL volumes.....but it wasn't until I got a bit of air moving through my guitar cab that my stage sound came alive. AT lower volumes, the amp felt a bit stiff.....like it wouldn't let me really "dig in." But once I turned the voume up past the 10W setting, things started to sound wonderfully organic, rich and alive.

I should also mention how great the JHS Colourbox is. It is really a great tool. Very powerful EQ, very warm sounding, and it colors the tone in a really nice way. It makes everything sound unique...if you are looking to keep a straight Fender/Marshall/Boogie/whatever amp tone, the COlourBox is not for you. But if you want a serious tool to help you sculpt your own tone, help differentiate your sound, and feel inspired doing it, then the ColourBox is worth a look....It is a GREAT preamp/DI and excels at sweetening the tone.

I am a happy camper today...

FYI, here is the rig I used. I brought the PT2 seen in the photo, NOT the PT Jr.....

Last edited:

padavis

I am hoping to put together something very similar. I think it's amazing how people are using the Tone Block. I plan to use it for bass in addition to guitars.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Have used a Tone Block on a couple of gigs where band uses a generator, so not enough juice for tubes (play on a pontoon boat semi annually on a sand bar in St Pete FL).

Have noticed that Tone Block likes "colorful speakers" like a pair of Golds, or a Creamback, versus a EVM 12L...more organic sounding tone. Hit it with a little Wampler Reverb and for leads, a special edition Zen Drive (higher gain). Very solid rock and blues tone. Agree with Charley, they like to be opened up and breath.

FWIW, These babies are powerful!

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I'm also contemplating picking up a Quilter combo....maybe a Mach 2 12 inch or a Steelaire.....the added eq section. Is intriguing...

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
Have noticed that Tone Block likes "colorful speakers" like a pair of Golds, or a Creamback, versus a EVM 12L...more organic sounding tone. Hit it with a little Wampler Reverb and for leads, a special edition Zen Drive (higher gain). Very solid rock and blues tone. Agree with Charley, they like to be opened up and breath.

FWIW, These babies are powerful!
I agree about adding a little color to the Toneblock, but more from a preamp/pedal like the OP is using the Colourbox for. Even though it has the contour EQ knob, by itself the Toneblock doesn't have much color. Also agree, they're very power and LOUD.

Last edited:

Trending Topics