4/16 ohm switch

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by SteveStrat, Feb 7, 2006.

1. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Does anyone know where to get a slider switch that goes in the back of speaker cabinets that allows you to split the speakers between series and parallel? I want have the option of switching my cabs between 4 and 16 ohms.

Steve

2. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

how many speakers ? if you have something like a 2x12 you can wire the speakers up to be parallel (2 speakers, 2 jacks each, with a short jumper for parallel) and then use a series box when you want to run them in that configuration.

3. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Right now I have two 2x12's each running at 4ohms, ( 2 8ohms speakers in parallel). I get the two jacks each speaker but you loose me with the "series box". Can you gimme some more details?

Thanks for the info

Steve

4. KLB

KLB Member

This link discusses the 1960 Marshall cabinet, the one with a stereo/mono switch and 4 ohm or 16 ohm load depending on which of two jacks is used in mono mode.

http://www.attentiontodesign.com/ax84/stevec/1960cab.html

You can eliminate the switch and wire the two Marshall-style switching jacks together as in mono mode. Instead of two 16 ohm speakers in parallel for each side, you would have one 8 ohm speaker for each side.

I put a dual jack plate in my 2x12. I can get 4 ohm parallel or 16 ohm series depending on which jack I plug into.

If you are wary about the integrity of the switching jacks, you can use a heavy-duty DPDT toggle switch in one of the holes with a Switchcraft jack in the other. Let me know if you want a diagram of this setup.

Cheers,
    Ken

5. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

a series box is an fx sized box with three jacks, all wired in series. you plug your amp output into one, speaker cab 1 in to the next jack and speaker cab 2 in to the last jack. instant series. if you do this, use the plastic marshall jacks with a metal box or the metal jacks with a plastic box.

6. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Ken,

It's the DPDT switch that I need. I think I can wire it up right, thanks for the diagram though. I can't find anywhere online that sells the switch that will take the wattage.

Steve

7. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

"I put a dual jack plate in my 2x12. I can get 4 ohm parallel or 16 ohm series depending on which jack I plug into."

Is it just that easy? For some reason I always thought you had to jumper the (-) and (+) together away from the jack and not at the jack. Am I having a brain fart?

Steve