[4-30-22 edit: as requested, more pics, see #30] 1999 Koll Spectroglide 12 String Converted by Saul Koll to 6 String

Bluestar

Double Platinum Member
I purchased a Koll Spectroglide semi-hollow with f-hole electric 12 string directly from Saul in February 1999. After a few emails and a call, Saul and I agreed on the following specs: flame Maple top, Sea Blue color (not solid, but transparent to see the flame top), Alder body, Birdseye maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, Abalone dots, v-boat neck shape, and Kent Armstrong Mini-Humbuckers. Glorious sounds, beautiful build, wonderful instrument. But as the years passed the 1-11/16” nut width at neck and related string spacing became less and less comfortable for my large hands. When I bought a Martin D-28-12 acoustic 12 string I knew immediately the 1-7/8'' width at nut was what I needed on my electric 12 string. So I sent my Spectroglide to Saul and asked him to replace the original neck with a new wider neck and related string spacing. But Saul recognized my reluctance to having my old, treasured instrument altered, so he came up with a brilliant idea to keep the guitar almost completely original: convert it from a 12 string to a 6 string. New bridge and nut, and some headstock work, but otherwise as is. And he’d build a brand new 12 string for me with the neck specs I was looking for. Of course I agreed with his clever solution! Pics below – the guitar in original form, conversion and construction, and new form. As I’ve known since 1999, Saul is a master with world class skills, and he and Gary are a pleasure to work with. The new electric 12 string is a long way off, I’ll start a new thread and post pics when it arrives.

Headstock Pic - 12 - Original State Before Conversion.jpg
Headstock Pic - Both - 1.jpg
Headstock Pic - 6 - Finished - 1.jpg
IMG_5396.jpg
IMG_5398.jpg
IMG_5399.jpg
IMG_5403.jpg
IMG_5405.jpg
IMG_5408.jpg
Headstock Pic - 12 - Plugged - Front - With New Wings.jpg
Headstock Pic - 12 - Plugged - 2.jpg
Headstock Pic - 12 - Plugged.jpg
Headstock Pic - Both - 1 - 1.jpg

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
Another example of Saul’s commitment to his instruments and clientele. I love how this one turned out. Smashing!

iainmc

Totally in keeping with the Saul I know - pragmatic, inventive and original. That’s some cool stuff right there

Bluestar

Double Platinum Member
Totally in keeping with the Saul I know - pragmatic, inventive and original. That’s some cool stuff right there
Thank you - and that's an accurate description of Saul! He could have removed the original neck off and replaced it with a new wider one, but he correctly concluded I didn't really want to do that.

Top Bottom