4 amp low volume shootout! Elmwood, Marshall, Peavey, Ewave

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulscape, Feb 12, 2008.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

All clips were recorded basically the same using two shure 57 mics, a 2x12 cab and roland VS2000 studio which Ive only had a couple of weeks and still trying to work out (I just used the inbuilt rythym tracks). I used a Peavey V-type vandenburg guitar with SD screamin demon bridge pup. Its kind of a bright low output pickup. The clips were recorded at TV volume levels in an apartment and all amps had the gain rolled back to around 3 oclock (the marshall's treble channel loudness was lowered). Same settings for rythym and solo's, no stomp boxes used but with ambience added on the roland during mixdown. Ive only had the Roland VS a few weeks so still getting my head around it. Im not particularly happy with the recordings overall but it gives a quick comparison of low volume tone none the less.

Representing Sweden is the newcomer Elmwood M90. From the UK we have the legendary marshall plexi coached by David Bray mods, from the far east of china we have the E-Wave DG100H (on loan) and from the heartland of the US a Peavey JSX combo. All amps have master volumes.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions!

Elmwood M90: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6264319
    E-Wave GD100H: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6264293
    Peavey JSX: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6264299
    Bray Marshall Plexi: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6264313

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

i think i like the JSX the most out of them all, sound very open and dynamic. The Elmwood which ive had a hankering to get for a while seems to have this honky midrange thing going on. The Plexi sounds kinda farty and the E-wave is just weak to me.

YAY POST 1000!!!

3. paulscape

paulscape Member

That's a good assessment and congrats on 1000 posts!

To be fair the JSX is using its own speakers and Ive had that amp for over a year so they're well worn in. The 2x12 cab, the other amps are going through, is almost brand new so there are some differences regarding speakers and small variations in mic placement between the JSX and others.

A lot of people compliment the Elmwoods MV but to me it truly comes alive at volume with a 4x12 when the speakers and those big KT88's are working harder. Like the Bray marshall - it needs some headroom and needs to push some air. The JSX is happy to sit there at whatever volume you choose - The Elmwood and Marshall plead to be turned up. I think that's their natural habitat ;)

The E-Wave has the least character but is also the cheapest by far.

4. rnm14

rnm14 Member

I liked the Bray modded Plexi the best, probably because I have one on order. No seriously I love that older Marshall crunch and the others sounded too modern for me.

5. paulscape

paulscape Member

You'll love it. My clips dont do the marshall justice and I had the treble loudness right down. Crank that marshall up and look out. Dave's clips are pretty sweet. Think I gotta invest in a good mic pre-amp and ribbon mimc to improve my recordings - my playing doesn't ever improve much ;)

6. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I liked the Elmwood and JSX the best. The M90 almost sounded like mic position "boxiness". I don't know, I get that sometimes too. I usually overcompensate trying to get the fullness of the amp and my first couple trys end up with a bit of that sound.

JSX sounded great.

7. Free

Free Member

The Bray Marshall sounded best by far - had the most bite, balls, clarity and articulation under high gain. What does the Bray mod include exactly?

8. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

What is with those Elmwood guys......is the footswitch non existing????

Haven't seen one single pic :eek:

and

Is it true that you have to split the amp completely to bias, if you want to experiment with tubes?

BTW: You shoud not have shown which was which.........just 1, 2, 3 and 4 and then see what people thought ;o)

9. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

i prefer the plexi.
    the JSX sounded too modern-y for my tastes.
    the other elmwood sounded pretty decent.
    the ewave did nothing for me.

10. mmorse

mmorse Member

Well, it just goes to show you how elusive tone is. One man's floor is another man's ceiling. I'll probably get my head handed to me for this but I liked the e-wave the best followed by the Bray modded plexi. I liked the Elmwood the least, though I've heard some killer Elmwood clips, and the JSX was just OK.

This was an interesting test because I just play at home and am always looking for killer tone at really low levels. Thanks for the recordings!

11. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

My thoughts exactly. I have a JSX head and use it through a 4x12 cab as my primary low volume home amp. I have had it for a few years and am good at setting it for even whisper quiet use late at night. I a have several other low watt amps, but I find those (mostly Class A) need to be too loud for late night home playing to the most desirable tones. The JSX also has the presence, resonance, and fat controls that let you tinker with low volume settings.

I have an unscientific theory that the more powerful JSX, with a good master volume, gets better tones at low volume pushing 4 speakers. My other lower power amps all have open back 1x12 or 2x12 cabs.
    does more power and more speakers = better low volume tone?

12. paulscape

paulscape Member

Yeah I should have done a blind test, although its interesting to hear peoples thoughts so far anyway.

The Elmwood has a good footswitch. I can post up some pics if you like. The biasing is easy. Talk to Steve Snider or Sonixx as they've tried a bunch of tubes.

Here's another heavier Elmwood clip. I didn't end up using this one for parity reasons as its D-tuned unlike the other clips which were in standard tuning.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6264335

13. paulscape

paulscape Member

I got his mod1 which includes internal jumping of channels a PPI master volume and some added gain. The gain is enough to reach that VH brown tone but he has other mods like the panther mod with much more gain. David also tweaks a lot of the values of components and will custom voice the amp to your liking. Additionally I got a 3 way attack switch, which is barely noticable, various push pull switches and a fat pot which I always leave on. Sounds great cranked through a 4x12. If you like Angus, Jimi and Eddie you'll like his amps!

'The M90 almost sounded like mic position "boxiness". I don't know, I get that sometimes too. I usually overcompensate trying to get the fullness of the amp and my first couple trys end up with a bit of that sound.'

Could well be... I had the mic's up quite close and really didn't experiment much with placement. It could also be because the 2x12 is so new. The JSX sounds pretty much as it is in real life...all the others dont sound quite right to me compared to how they sound in person. Also the Elmwood and E-Wave have thick pumping bass which doesn't transpose onto recordings at such low volume very well.

14. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Awesome clip. Loved it. Put the lead track a little higher in the mix. Awesome. Yes very easy to bias.:RoCkIn

15. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Biasing is easy on The Elmwoods....I love em!! I own 2 M90's and a 3100

16. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I liked the Peavy best too...

17. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

A bit heavier :rolleyes: Yep....I think you are right :D - BTW....do you feel that it has a tight bottom, when you play it?

Yeah..I'd love to see a pic of the footswitch as the Elmwood boys doesn't show it on their homepage...

BTW.....are the company closing down or something? The only shop (chain) in my country, stops selling them now.....

Bias: ok...I just read somewhere, that you had to take it almost completely apart, to do that....maybe it's on older models...

18. paulscape

paulscape Member

Fully - its dark, fat and tight. Think Metallica black album or Beyonce Knowles.

Here's a pic of the elusive footswitch. I get my cat roadie to switch channels for me ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

1. Bray
    2. E-wave
    those two worked for me
    nice test

20. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

Paulscape:

Thanks.....I was beginning to think it did not exist ;o) Cute roadie.......