4 cable method question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Montana Slim, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Montana Slim

Montana Slim Member

I am thinking about getting the Amplifire and since it has an effects loop and my Marshall DSL40c amp also has an effects loop, I can set up the 4 cable method as follows:

Guitar --> Amplifire input --> Amplifire send ---> DSL40c input ---> DSL40c send --> Amplifire return --> Amplifire mono ouput --> DSL40c return

That's how 4CM is done yes?

I also have a Zoom G5 (which does not have an effects loop). I'd like to be able to use the G5's delays, reverbs, chorus in the Amplifire loop. So will this work? Can I insert a G5 into the 4 cable hookup as below?

Guitar --> Amplifire input --> Amplifire send ---> G5 input ---> G5 output ---> DSL40c input ---> DSL40c send --> Amplifire return --> Amplifire output --> DSL40c return

I don't have an Amplifire yet so I don't really know if this works.

Thanks.

2. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

I think that will work OK but depending on where you generating your dirt you may want to consider putting the G5 further towards the end of the chain.

3. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

Yeah, you could have the g5 between your amp send and your amplifire return, and then your g5 could do all the delays, reverbs, modulations, etc... after the preamp of the amp. One thing to consider is that, with both of them in the loop, you would be stuck using the amp's preamp any time you're using the g5.
    Another configuration would be to put the g5 between the amplifire output and the amp return. That way, the effects loop of the amplifire only controls whether the amp preamp is in the chain, and you can turn the g5 effects on/off with its footswitches.
    If you want to get really crazy, I'm pretty sure somebody made a product that allows midi switching of the zoom ms products (don't know if it also works with the g5) and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the amplifire can send some sort of external control signals so, with another product and a few more cables, you could switch everything from your amplifire. Or, if there's a product that will somehow accept midi signals from the zoom, you could control everything from there.

4. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

That setup will always run the G5's effects into the DSL40c's preamp. If the DSL40c isn't set clean you may have a muddier sounding delay and reverb coming from the G5. It's always worth checking though. If it sounds good, use it.

An alternative setup with the Amplifire and DSL40c preamps coming before the G5's effects would be:

guitar->amplifire input->amplifire send->DSL40c input->DSL40c send->amplifire return->amplifire output->G5 input->G5 output->DSL40C return

This would let you put the DSL40c's preamp anywhere in the amplifire's signal chain and use the G5's effects after the amplifire/DSL40c preamp sounds.

Another simpler setup option would be to forego the DSL40c's preamp altogether and just use the preamp modelling on the amplifire. You could then put the G5 in the amplifire's loop. This let's you run just one cord from pedal board to amp instead of three.

guitar->amplifire input->amplifire send->G5 input->G5 output->amplifire return->amplifire output->DSL40C return

5. Montana Slim

Montana Slim Member

That would put the G5 effects after the Amplifire output instead of
    in the Amplifire loop. Would that adversely affect the tone compared to being placed in the loop do you think? Thanks, I will no doubt try that.

6. Montana Slim

Montana Slim Member

Yeah, I could go this route. I did really want to try the 4CM with the DSL40 preamp in the loop. I could try it and maybe it won't be worth it or necessary and I can go with the simpler setup.

7. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

Not in any way I can think of. If you're using cabinet modeling with the amplifier, your effects would maybe sound different than you're used to (like adding post-effects in the studio, rather than having them on in the loo of your amp). However, since you're running into the power amp return of an amp and then (i assume) into a guitar cab, why would you be using ir's in the first place?