4 Conductor/Foil Shield vs. Vintage Style Braided Shield

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jamison162, Aug 15, 2006.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I read somewhere the the foil shielding was better/more effective than the vintage style braided wire. Anyone know anything about this or recommend one over the other?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Foil shielding has 100 % coverage but I wouldn't say it is inherently better. FWIW, I like Mogami console wire for pickups. It's a spiral shield (ground) with two conductors. The extra wire allows for some extra wiring options.

3. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

both have have the ground shielding so i can't see why one would be better than the other. on fender guitars they have two seperate wires, so maybe that's what you're thinking about? Only problem with vintage braided shield is that if you have out of phase pickups and both leads touch eachother then you have to insulate one.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

What do you mean by out of phase pickups. I'm wiring a LP Standard.

Oh wait, your refering to both leads as in 2 conductor in the 1 braided cable, right?

5. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

with all humbuckers you have in one coil the + and the - and the the other the + and the -. So let's call the first coil A and the second B so you have A+, A-, B+ and B-.

In a braided shield (old gibson style) lead you have internally the A- is connected to B+ and the A+ and the B- the two leads but the B- is grounded to the braided shield internally.

Now say you have 2 manufactures who do things differently so that they reverse things so A+ from one is A- for the other... If you had one pickup from each in a guitar wired normally you'd get an out of phase sound. In order to reverse it, you'd have to go internally because you can't just flip the leads at the pot (put the braided shield on the pot lug and the inside wire on the pot casing) because that will cause a short.

with a 4 conductor lead, since no connections are made internally, and you have the ground wire (so really it's a 5 connection lead) seperate, you can rewire it to reverse phase easily.

I think I over complicated it and it probably won't happen but it's just a scenario