4-hole marshall vol-tone settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DGDGBD, Jan 18, 2008.

1. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Since we're on the subject of jumpered channels, anyone wanna share their favorite volume and tone settings?

Here's mine:

Bright Ch-4 (100 pf bright cap)
    Normal Ch-2.5

Treble-0
    Mids-7
    Bass-2
    Presence-7

2. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I had my 71' smallbox 50 watter gone through a few years back and brought back to original spec by Plexi Palace. I follow Vic's (Plexi Palace) advise on running the amp jumpered. This has given me pretty great results that I've been very happy with. I usually only use this amp for recording so these settings are for that application.

I leave the bass control very low or off, the mids between 7 and dimed, Treble about 6 or 7 and then set the first volume for the amount of breakup I want. Seems like the sweetspot is about 6 on my amp. The second volume somewhat takes the place of the bass control which is why the actual bass control is left very low or off. I bring the second volume up until I get the amount of low end oompf desired. With volume one on 6, I would probably have volume two about 3 or 4. I don't usually use much of the presence control.

As I said, this is kind of the Plexi Palace method for setting up your Marshall. It seems a little weird to have the bass dialed down so low, but it really works pretty well. I may change the treble depending on the guitar, but the tone controls usually don't get touched much. all the gain and balance of lows and highs is accomplished with the two volume controls.

3. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

I have Superbass (with SED 6550C power tubes):

Presence: 6-8
    Bass: 4
    Middle: 10 (in addition i have modded a slight middle boost to the pot)
    Treble: 10
    Volume: 7-8 (i use attenuator)

I don't usually jump the channels, just don't like the result. Whether i use the High treble channel or use a treble booster with the Normal channel.

4. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

This is with a Les Paul > early ptp wired '73 50 watt 1986 model Bass head > 4x12 with Greenbacks:

Volume - 8
    Treble - 8
    Middle - 10
    Bass - 3
    Presence - 6

I plug into the upper left Bright channel and don't jumper the inputs as it tends to muddy up the tone to my ears... and being that it's a Bass head, it has plenty of low end and a smoother, rounder treble response that doesn't get ice picky even with the treble dimed.

This rig does that AC/DC "Keraaangg" tone in spades. :dude

5. jscorno

jscorno Member

I use a Y cable to go into jump the channels rather than the coming out the 2nd A channel into the B channel. It makes the B channel a little more useful.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

When I had one, everything was 10.

losrogers likes this.
  7. ahab

ahab Member

These things are so inconsistent with their parts, values, etc. that the settings are a bit meaningless from one amp to another. In other words, my settings might be radically different than yours, but both amps might deliver similar tones.

8. Roe

Roe Member

jtm45 and 50:
    bright vol: 6-10
    normal vol: 0
    bass: 0-3
    mids: 6-8
    treble: 10
    presence: 0-5

9. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

I have 2 -4 holers ('72 50 watt '75 50 watt) and they both really have to be set up differently.