4 Holes, 1 Amp! Jumping vs Switching (+poll)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeavyCream, Sep 15, 2019.

Jump vs Switch

1. 4 Holers are king!!!

38 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Cascade classics rule

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. All hail the Twin Reverb

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

(This poll is exclusively regarding your opinion about tone. I’m not interested in which is best for gigging or bedroom volume or any of that. Tone is all that matters here)

Early Marshall JTM/JMP
    Fender Tweed Deluxe/Bassman/Twin
    Supro 1690TA/1624TA...
    Silvertone Twin Twelve...
    Vox AC30, AC50
    Hiwatt
    Magnatone 213
    Danelectro Centrium
    (fill in the blank)___________

First of all, a list of amps with channel jumping ability would be sick! If you know of any (besides the obvious), don’t hold out. I’m interested in the old original circuits, NOT modern clone/boutique rehash amps. Feel free to toss in any original modern 4-holers though.

At some point I started to realize that most of the amps/circuits i consider to be the greatest of all time have 4 jumpable inputs. Sure, the entire signal path is intricate and every part of it is making its own impact. That said, I have really come to appreciate the wonderful, complex tone of parallel gain stages working in tandem, creating dynamic tube breakup brimming with character and rich harmonic content. Not to mention the tonal possibilities of mixing Bright and Normal inputs.

So, lastly, which do you prefer? Amps that offer the ability to jump Bright/normal channels or all cascade designs (typically channel switchers)?

It wasn’t long after guitarists (with balls) started jumping their amp inputs to get more gain and more interesting tones, that amp builders started making channel switchers engineered for dirt. Good ‘ol Leo, on the other hand, went another direction by putting the kibosh on channel jumping and released amps with improved clean headroom.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

Why stop at 4? Why not 8? LONG LIVE THE SUPER P.A.!

indeedido, Tonekat and HeavyCream like this.
  3. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

The 4 hole inputs are an ingenious design. So much more versatility than amps with fewer inputs!

ripple and HeavyCream like this.
  4. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Marshall Plexis and their Marshall variants are my favorite amps.
    Imho, their cleans are as good, for my purposes, as Fender or any other company's products. Moreover, the saturation of Marshall Plexis are THE sound, and even with all the listening, auditioning, and buying I have done, nothing takes their place, except another Marshall.
    Of course, as with everything, ymmv :)

Sean Mac, BearBryan and HeavyCream like this.
  5. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Agreed. I wish more amp builders would offer 4-input designs. The Fender Bassbreaker 45 is a good one (not 4 inputs but same idea) but it’s a shame the rest of the line has different style circuits. I’m sure cost is part of the equation.

There was a lot of clamoring for a BB with channel switching so Fender released the BB30R. I get that it’s more gig friendly but I feel Fender really missed an opportunity. Especially the 15w. It’s a great little amp but I would much prefer jumped inputs over that low/mid/high gain knob.

C-4 likes this.
  6. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    It depends on my mood - 1959/1987/JTM45 are my favorites but sometimes the JMP2203/2204 hit the sweet spot more.

Russ

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Preaching to the choir. The JTM/Super Lead are top of the heap. The clean tone of those amps is different but just as good or better than the best of the best Fender cleans, imo.

That’s not to say I’m not a huge fan of many Fender amps and the amazing tones they produce.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Geeze and C-4 like this.
  8. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

The problem I have though is that I can’t easily switch between the available tones for live use. So although I acknowledge that OP is specifically excluding considerations like practicality for live or bedroom use, as a hobbyist amp builder I’d rather build/mod an amp that has one instrument input and the tonal options are footswitchable - which is what I plan to do to one of the two 4-holer YBAs I just picked up on Craigslist!

9. twotone

twotone Member

A Vox AC30 with the channels jumped grinds pretty good.

10. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Congratulations on the Traynor purchase!!! So, how are planning to mod it? Are you making the 2 channels foot switchable? FS from one channel to jumped channels? Or, something more radical where the channel signal paths are put in series?

I get that the amps I’m referring to don’t make the best gig amps in most situations. Using an ABY with foot switches can make them virtually 3 channel switcher. Of course, the volume disparity makes it less practical than a typical channel switcher.

11. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

4 input amps are classic. It’s kind of like an extra eq stage when jumpered too. Add Hiwatt to the list of awesome 4 holers.

12. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I wished Marshall would have done an updated 21st Century version of their Plexi with channel switching, et. al. as you describe.

While there is the Metro-Plex, and others, if I were playing larger venues, I would have saved for one. The Pleximan gets me as close as the switching options I wished Marshall had done to a Plexi, will get me for it's size and weight.

And, I still love my Mini Jubilee. That amp is as close, for me, to a vintage Marshall sound with JCM800 tendencies as currently exists for my needs that is a Marshall at this point.

But, I'm still hoping. :)

HeavyCream and walshb like this.
  13. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Funky54’s Rules of AMP Tone Selections:
    Jumping with AC30 and others. Some on this list may seem to not qualify, however very easy non intrusive mods can be done to make all of these in phase with both channels.

1 - Vintage AC30’s with Blue/Silver Bells

2 - Vintage JTM45 with Celestions

3 - Vintage Black Face Super Reverbs with CTS speakers

4 - Vintage Black Face Deluxe Reverbs with Jenson speakers

5 - Bluesbreakers with Celestions

6 - Vintage Black Face Vibrolux’s with CTS speakers

7 - Vintage Black Face Bassman’s

8 - Mesa has many options that most fit the same bill. Good luck moving them... might as well choose something from above.

There are only 8 Funky54 approved options. However knock offs of the above circuits are approved. I have spoken... End thread.

HeavyCream, C-4 and BearBryan like this.
  14. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I find your lack of tweed disturbing. A good list otherwise. I would switch the Black Face Bassman out with a 1986 or JTM50 though.

HeavyCream and C-4 like this.
  15. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I've never understood the 4 input amps. Can someone explain how they work or what they're supposed to do? Whenever I'd come across one, I'd just choose one input and roll with it because I had no clue what to do...

HeavyCream likes this.
  16. Funky54

Funky54 Member

This could be negotiated over the right quantity of Stouts or Porters. If the negotiations linger it may move into single malt territory. Its not like I’m not flexible.

17. Funky54

Funky54 Member

When the amps different channels are in phase you can do a number of things for new sounds. You can put a patch cable going from channel to channel and then plug your board/guitar into either remaining inputs and it blends the two channels sounds for a thicker tone. You can also depending on the circuit/amp blend things like trem or reverb. (You can also have an always on pedal that puts the second channel in phase) Another benefit is using a A/B pedal. You can set one channel for rhythm and the other for lead or put effects in one side and dirt in the other.

I also have tricks in a wet dry wet rig using these different channels. I can even “fake” the second wet using 1 amp if I’m careful. I set one wet side for a dedicated delay repeat.. so if the original signal (dry dirt) goes to amp A, then the first dedicated repeat only goes to amp B... then in a pinch you can send the third dedicated repeat back to amp A into the second channel. It sounds decent and saves me with small venues from needing the third amp. Since I only use amp A for dirt and no dirt is in the other signals the repeat that goes back to channel 2 of amp A still has the definition you enjoy with three amps.

HeavyCream, C-4, ripple and 1 other person like this.
  18. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

Interesting! So each input is it's own channel?

HeavyCream and Tone_Terrific like this.
  19. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Don't threaten me with a good time.

HeavyCream and Funky54 like this.
  20. mikebat

mikebat Member

My 2 cents, the Plexi is the amp I believe I can coax any tone out of. With a little push upfront for whatever type of tone you need, a Plexi will do it.

If I need jangly pop/ Americana, sure a AC30 is the go to, but I think I can get a convincing tone for that with a plexi.
    You need Foreigner "Hot Blooded", treble channel, and done.
    You need high gain, pick your poison, Rat, TS, Microamp, Treble Booster, OCD.....mission accomplished
    You need funk, volume at 5, compressor with blend conntrol.
    Soulful jazzy stuff, bass input, volume at 5.

The only thing I never liked is bridged inputs, volume at 10, and tone controls on 10. That....just sounds mushy and like it is falling apart, and many say that is the the greatest tone. I disagree. Treble input, set those tones to 5, back off the volume to 8 or 9....that is THE tone for me.

Sean Mac and Funky54 like this.