• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

4 hours in Austin, Tx.

cajunboy2k

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going to be in Austin, Tx for my wife's job this coming Saturday, and I'll be by myself for 4 hours while she is in a seminar. What are the "must see," music shops?

M

Member 37136

I'm going to be in Austin, Tx for my wife's job this coming Saturday, and I'll be by myself for 4 hours while she is in a seminar. What are the "must see," music shops?
Austin Guitar House (2206 W Anderson Ln)
Austin Vintage Guitars (6555 Burnet Rd)
Guitar Resurrection (813 Morrow Street)

They are within a couple of miles of each other, so you can easily get to all of them.

beorn

You should also consider what kind of gear interests you.

Of the above list, I would say the first is the best for boutique gear, the second is the best for Fender/Gibson, and the third is the best for PRS.

cajunboy2k

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I'm interested in places other than Guitar Center. I like smaller boutique/mom and pop/vintage stores. Fender/Gibson is cool, but they are everywhere. I want to see something different, not necessarily high end, but high end is cool.

M

Member 37136

Thanks guys. I'm interested in places other than Guitar Center. I like smaller boutique/mom and pop/vintage stores. Fender/Gibson is cool, but they are everywhere. I want to see something different, not necessarily high end, but high end is cool.
Trust me. The ones I listed are what you're looking for. You can check out Strait or South Austin Music if you're on that side of town, but these three are special: Guitar Resurrection has Grosh, Huber, Ribecke, and Teuffel in stock, as well as a lot of high-end Gibsons and CS Fenders, etc., and an amp room to die for; Guitar House carries Fano, K-Line, Suhr, and Trusssart, among many other boutique brands, and Austin Vintage has a little bit of everything.

mcdonaldkd

Austin Guitar House (2206 W Anderson Ln)
Austin Vintage Guitars (6555 Burnet Rd)
Guitar Resurrection (813 Morrow Street)

They are within a couple of miles of each other, so you can easily get to all of them.
I agree. But, if you need to skip one, I would pass on Guitar Rez. I do not find the folks that work there to be very nice, and you can find their inventory at most decent shops. I do find the people at Austin Vintage to be outstanding, however!

M

Member 37136

if you need to skip one, I would pass on Guitar Rez. I do not find the folks that work there to be very nice, and you can find their inventory at most decent shops.
That's disappointing to hear. My experiences have been the opposite: Two of the three guitars I've purchased from them (a CS Gibson and a Limited Taylor) were unavailable anywhere else in town. They've done some stellar repair work for me, and happily managed a warranty issue I had. I've never received anything but exceptional treatment there.

adamc214

Silver Supporting Member
Austin Guitar House has some Teye Guitars that are unreal. Austin Vintage has a lot of great stuff as well. Guitar Rez seemed a little stuffy to me, but maybe I caught it on a bad day. Grissom at Saxon is a must if you are around.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Austin Guitar House (if you dig boutique gear).

S.
j

Semitone

As long as people are tossing out "non guitar store" recommendations...

Forget Austin and drive down to Tejas Rodeo near San Antonio and watch Team Penning for a couple hours.:banana

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Cool thread and timely for me. I'm also headed to austin and want to check out at least one guitar store and try out amps. I think I'm going to austin guitar house

AA864

Does Carolyn Wonderland play any regular venues/nights in Austin. I'd like to go and see DG and CW if possible.

Top Bottom