1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

4-input 2204?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mlj_gear, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Anyone ever seen a 4-input 2204? A guy had one on eBay, and the volume controls were clearly labeled pre-amp volume and master volume. Someone e-mailed him and told him it was actually a non-master volume amp, and he posted that on his listing. I would have e-mailed him myself, but I didn't notice it until five minutes before the auction closed.

I've heard rumors of 4-input 2204s... just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of one before.

I'm guessing the poor guy lost a good bit of money based on the non-master volume claim. He later wrote that the amp was modded, but I'm not sure if that was based on what the person who e-mailed him said, or whether it was from looking inside the chassis. Wasn't clear from the listing.

2. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I saw that listing on Ebay. To odd for me so I stayed away.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The first 1976 issue 2204 was a miserable failure of an amp. The very next year they changed the circuit to match the preamp specs of the 2203. the first ones didn't have the cascading preamp just an added master volume that sounded awful. I have one and it looks like a none master volume amp with two inputs. But the chassis is punched with four inputs and it would be easy to pop two holes in the faceplate to make it four input. It is remotely possible that Marshall even did this for a short period.

Mine has been modded to 77 spec preamp and with lower fitering sound terrific.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Do you guys have a link to the listing? I once owned a 2204 that had been modded for 4 inputs, and I'm curious if that was mine. I had the mod removed but left the four jacks as intact high and low inputs. The guy that restored it to stock thought the mod had involved linking the new jacks with a jumper to pick up another gain stage, although not very noticeably, and he thought it also might have been used as an effects loop of sorts.

5. zaraflux

zaraflux Member

The 2150's and the 50 watt model (cant remember the #s) maybe 2105 or something like that are 4 hole master volume amps that came out in the late 70's that can easily be confused as a 4 hole 2204/3