4 Ohm - 8 ohm Bandmaster Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lspaulsp, Dec 25, 2009.

1. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I think I put this in earlier but I can't find it.
    I'm reading on the net of a bunch of individuals running 8 ohm cabs with their 4 ohm BM with a minor loss of volume. They're saying the Fender trany will handle the 8 ohm load. No problem. I thought this was a major no, no.....

I don't have any small 4 ohm cabs. If I can run the BM at 8 ohms I have several speaker options.

I don't want to blow the thing up. Is what I'm reading wrong?????????

2. kimock

kimock Member

It's more of a general 6L6 thing than a transformer issue I think.
    I don't run my Magnatone, Hiwatt, Marshall, Laney, Kelley, DeArmond etc stuff mismatched, but I'm one of those guys who have been running that mismatch professionally since the 70's on Boogies, Fenders and Dumbles. 6L6's.

Zero problems, nothing. No smoke, no lights go out, nothing melts or blows up.
    You drop 33ish% of your output power, lose a little high end, lose a little low end, midrange comes forward, you turn the amp up a little more, sits nice in the mix, nice single note sound etc.
    Sometimes efficiency is the enemy. Won't hurt anything to try it, see what you like for yourself.

3. lspaulsp

Thanks, great reply.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Fenders are safe for run an ohms mismatch, but that's not the case with a lot of other manufacturers.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a Bandmaster and several other Vintage Fenders, I've run all of them with 8 ohm loads at one time or other with zero problems.

6. lspaulsp

Running it with two 2x12 cabs so I can hit 4 ohms is wonderful but brutal.
    Doug Stalters tweaked it and it's sounds more like a Plexi than a Bandmaster. It has this cool mid to low end rumble/thump.

I gotta ask, kimock is it Steve Kimock?

7. kimock

kimock Member

Steve Kimock, yes.

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While a higher than normal ohm load on a tube amp is more risky to an output transformer than lower, Fender transformers are usually ok with a one impedance step mismatch. So, while an 8 ohm load on a 4 ohm Fender tube amp should be ok, a 16 ohm load would make me nervous.

9. lspaulsp

You da man! Luv your stuff.