4 ohms vs. 16 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by natemeanie, Aug 13, 2008.

1. natemeanie

natemeanie Supporting Member

tonal differences between the two?

i have a couple of 4 ohm 2x12 cabinets that i'm thinking of having rewired to 16 ohms... i like the way they sound now but would like to be able to run one amp through a 16 ohm 4x12 as well as the open back 2x12.

thanks

2. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

What you are really saying is series vs. parallel because the difference in using 4 vs 16 ohm outputs won't impact that much, if at all (there's lots of debate on that). There are noticeable differences between series and parallel but its a matter personal choice. Just give it a shot and see if you like it.

3. natemeanie

natemeanie Supporting Member

what would those differences be?

4. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I tend to like 4 and 8 ohm Cabs the best. AN 8 ohm 4x12 will have a lot more nuts behind it then a 16 ohm. Also like most matchless cabs that are 2x12 they are 4 ohm and thus they sound incredible. Just an opinion. Good Luck though.

5. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

The difference is the amount of voice coil winding the signal passes through. In series the signal passes through one voice coil, then the other before returning to the source, not only that the signal passes through more windings in the transformer before being tapped.
    In a parallel configuration the signal passes through all the voice coil windings simultaneously giving your tone more up front presence and punch, which on the down side can create harsher upper mids and highs and be much less forgiving.

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

You can do a little internet research to get more detail but generally, parallel will sound somewhat smoother and tighter; while series will sound a little looser, boomier. However, if you are going to parallel the two speaker cabs, you'd have to take that into account as well.

7. sixtonoize

sixtonoize Member

Are there any available sound clips to demonstrate the differences?