4 tubes, then 2 tubes, then 1 tube

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stu2, Apr 27, 2008.

1. stu2

stu2 Member

I've seen that the mesa lonestar amps can switch from 4 output tubes to 2 then 1. I'd like to know how this works. Switching from 4 to 2 still keeps the amp operating in class AB but doesn't switching from 2 to 1 make it single ended therefore class A? Am I incorrect thinking that output impedences change switching from full power to half power as well as class A operation requiring a different type of output tranny than a push pull. Please educate me.

2. booj

booj Member

I saw a review on e pinions about that amp. It uses either 2 or 4 tubes from what I could tell. Intersting concept. I like the 50 watt distorted to 100 watt clean feature. That's cool.

3. stu2

stu2 Member

I'm not interested in the Lonestar but would love to be able to set up a twin reverb with a similar configurable power tube output scheme. I think the 1/2 power (2 x 6l6) mode would be fairly straight forward but the 1/4 power (1 x 6l6) mode might be tricky. Good idea or just a pipe dream?

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    bad idea

maybe you should look at a duel SET powered amp then going to one tube could be less of a can of worms.

I'd think twice before even dreaming about this in a TR config. Wouldn't sound like a TR. The inherrent efficiency of a AB circuit makes the power sections yield greater then the sum of its parts.

The original Two Stroke is a good example of a duel SET amp in class A

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey ReCords

5. cram

cram Member

Is this similar to the way marshall throws a 100 - 50w switch on the back of some amps? I also noticed that the builder at ceriatone does a "half power mod".

In basic terms, does it take the other two (or one) power tubes out of the path?

This is also something I wonder about, but definately lack the tech understanding in amps for researching myself.