4 way tele switch

kirkw

swapped out my neck pup (fralin blues) for a fralin humcancelling p90.

Oaks 4 way switch.

What I'm thinking, and not accomplishing, is: position 1. bridge no tone 2. Bridge w tone 3. Both (normal position 2 on a 3 way switch) 4.neck w tone.

Any help??

AdmiralB

Off the top of my head, I think it's going to come down to position 3. If you don't want the tone on it, then it's possible.

If you do want the tone when both are on, I don't think it can be done with just the switch.

You have two poles, and four contacts plus the common on each. So, on one pole you'd have the bridge hot lead on contacts corresponding to positions 1, 2, and 3. You'd have the neck connected to the other pole, contacts corresponding to positions 3 and 4.

Then you'd connect the tone pot 'input' to position 2 on the 'neck' pole, and position 4 on the 'bridge' pole. Send both common terminals to the volume pot input.

That gets what you want in positions 1, 2, and 4. It gets position 3, but without tone.

The five-way four-pole switch will do this easily, but then you've got another position for which to find a use...

AdmiralB

Don't take my word as final, though! There are other, smarter-than-me folks here. Get second opinions!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
no, i think there was somebody asking for this previously, essentially the esquire bypassed bridge pickup plus the three stock tele positions; i recall thinking it was an obviously good idea, then staring at the switch layout for a while and realizing i couldn't see a way to do it...

kirkw

Well I only had a 4 way switch on hand, I was trying to see how the pickups acted together.
I bought a normal 3 way yesterday.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom