1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

4 Way Wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Erocku, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Erocku

Erocku Member

I'm looking to setup a 4way switch on my tele when it comes in. I'll have Duncan Hotrails on the bridge (which I want coil tapped using a push pull pot) and a Dimarzio Twang King in the neck. I want the 4 way switch to do the following.

1. Bridge
    2. Bridge Neck (parallel)
    3. Bridge Neck (series)
    4. Neck

Here's a diagram I setup of the hardware I'm going to be using. If someone could "connect the dots" for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

This should work, assuming the ground wire of the DiMarzio is the red and the hot is the black wire (as it appears in some diagrams in their web page). If this results in the pu's being out of phase (very quiet and trebly tone), just swap those two wires.

Once the phase is correct, if you don't get hum cancellation between the SD split and the DiMarzio, then connect the bottom left lug of the push/pull to the SD black wire instead of ground.

[​IMG]

3. Erocku

Erocku Member

Thanks for the info.

I had someone else give me a diagram on how to wire it. It differs from yours. Can you or anyone else look this over? And if you dont mind... how does a four way switch work exactly? Which contact points are active at each position on the switch?

[​IMG]

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

There are several ways of doing this and that will also work, except for a couple of problems:​

- The yellow wire that goes from the vol. pot to the tone pot should end in the middle lug of the tone pot, not the left lug​

- He's used the 4-wire colour codes of DiMarzio for the bridge SD, so you should swap the red and black.​

He's also used the back of the vol. pot as the common ground connection which is the usual thing to do, but since it's a push/pull it will be easier to use the tone pot (doesn't make any difference). I don't know why he has the jack ground connection separate from the others though.​

Finally, assuming the push/pull is drawn as it would look with the shaft pointing down, I wired it so that it splits the SD when you pull it. His would split when you push it.​

As for the switch, if you number the lugs like this:​

A - *
    1 - *
    2 - *
    3 - *
    4 - *
    * - B​

The connections in each possition woud be:​

1 - A1 and B5
    2 - A2 and B6
    3 - A3 and B7
    4 - A4 and B8​