• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

< 40 lbs of Blackface Whoopass to replace DRRI?

jtatknox

I'm gassing for a replacement for my Fender Deluxe Reverb RI with a Weber P12N. I have the following issues with it:

1. Cabinet is too big/awkward/heavy
2. Has no ass. I haven't tried it with an extension cab, but I am going for equal size or hopefully smaller.
3. Tremolo is garbage compared to my Tremulator. It clicks and doesn't throb pleasingly. So a replacement doesn't need tremolo.

Some of the amps I am looking at are Fargen Blackbird, Tophat Club Super Deluxe, Carr Mercury w/ a 6L6 and a super-efficient speaker. I'm reading and reading and reading but I don't see any way to A/B/C these amps in one place.

Criteria are:

1. Same breakup/headroom/tone characteristics as my DRRI
2. <40 lbs, small cabinet
3. <$1,500 used
4. 12" speaker
5. Built like a tank
6. Takes pedals well

Ideas? I'm really intrigued by the Mercury but concerned 8 watts won't quite be enough for stage even with a very efficient speaker and an extension cab. Any other single bottle wonders like the Mercury I should look into?

kbphx

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you're saying a Deluxe Reverb is too hard to lug around? That's about the most tossable amp I've had. I can see some potential merit in your other issues.

freaksho

Supporting Member
+1
can't imagine finding something with more balls and less weight. a more efficient and louder speaker will have a heavy magnet and there's no way around that. i think the DR can probably be considered the minimum heft available.

and i think No. 2 and No. 5 are mutually exclusive.

maybe you need a head designed in the blackface style and a good light 2x12 cab, each being lighter than your combo.

wyatt

This is why I went with one of the old Allen Accomplices in the narrow panel cabinet (top controls). 35 lbs, smaller that a DR too. I did have to do some of the Fender mods to it but now it's just like my old DR (without trem...oh well).

62Tele

Supporting Member
I have my Allen Brown Sugar in a 1x12 blonde cab with a Jensen Tornado (neo) - it runs 6V6's, 6L6's and EL34's without rebiasing (cathode biased) and weighs 39lbs with this speaker. It's similar in size to a DR, but can power up and down nicely with tube swaps. After owning four vintage DR's over the years, I was thinking today how much more I like this amp.

topbrent

Before you send that amp down the river, try a big powerful speaker in there.

The P12N is a great speaker for many things, but I wouldn't put it in the catagory of having a ton of bass in a cabinet such as yours.

Also, going to a smaller cabinet isn't usually the recipe for more or better bass response unless you are going to go to a thiele type ported cab.

Have you considered trying a Jensen Neo in there? You might like a EV12L in there.

Find some players in your area that might have a few more powerful speakers available for you to try out first.

Mr. Bertha

tone king imperial. 37lbs and 20watts of whoop-ass with the throbbiest tremolo you ever heard. Bigger bottom end than a drri and the lead channel gives convincing Marshall-esque tones too. The only thing I like about the drri better is the drippy over-the-top reverb. The imperial reverb is polite even when full up.

voojo

Sacrilege alert!!

Roland Cube 80
The Cube 60 I have is great for Blackface type of tones, for the price it can't be beat. The other tones are ok too, but the Blackface setting really shines.

fargen blackbird
Yes, another great amp! Lightweight with the pine cabinet, and you can get them in 20 watts (2 6V6) 30 watts (4 6V6) and 40 watts (2 6L6.) I had a 30 watt model and in the gear churn it's one of a few I wish I had kept.

jtatknox

All great suggestions so far. The weight of the DRRI is not as big an issue as the cabinet seems unnecessarily large. I also want to shed the tremolo because I'm going for simple and I love my Tremulator, otherwise I'd be all over the Rambler.

The Tonkerlite is a great suggestion to reduce weight, but my bigger issue is wanting to reduce cabinet footprint. So far in my mind the Fargen Blackbird and Allen Accomplice are winning, but I really prefer the size of the Blackbird. It's an equivalent size to a Mercury.

Any suggestions for single bottle amps?

Last edited:

Dana Olsen

Gold Supporting Member
tone king imperial. 37lbs and 20watts of whoop-ass with the throbbiest tremolo you ever heard. Bigger bottom end than a drri and the lead channel gives convincing Marshall-esque tones too. The only thing I like about the drri better is the drippy over-the-top reverb. The imperial reverb is polite even when full up.
That's the ticket - good choice.

Dana O.