$40 pick

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vegarman, Oct 8, 2019.

1. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

$15.00 strings?

2. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

My strings is 10 dollar pollywebs.

3. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

4. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

I've got a couple of Blue Chip picks now. They are wonderful to use and I love them but I don't use them exclusively. I still keep going back to celluloid every so often. It's good to vary it up and keep your hands guessing.

5. Mele

Mele Supporting Member

There are 2 different ways of looking at this (a) cost, (b) value.

$40 for a pick is just insane for most people on the surface - totally get it.

I have already dumped many tens of thousands of dollars into gear and many hours into practicing, so if a $40 investment yields a tangible benefit, then I have to at least try it before I am qualified to pass judgement. I tried 1 Blue Chip pick with an open mind (and with healthy skepticism), and for me it was worth it. In the context of "dumb stuff people blow money on" this is not one of the dumber things I own.

Ryno1331, RussB, friend33 and 3 others like this.
  6. Bertiman

Bertiman Supporting Member

Been playing with just bare fingers for the better part of the last 15 years. Just started acclimating myself to picks again. Of course, the ones that I seem to prefer now and the ones I have the least of....

7. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I was just looking through Instagram, and a post from either Dead & Company or John Mayer's page came up and he had all Blue Chips on his mic stand :eek: Did some further digging and he's been using a TD35 since 2017. Someone on youtube mentioned that "he knows" that John has 90+ of them, that's over $3k in picks! I thought my collection was expensive :rotflmao

8. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

At these new pick prices maybe we will see a new cottage music industry being born: :dudePick Rental Services! :dude
    They might have different fee structures for Sweep & Alternate Picking. Maybe a "Coupon Day" for Economy Picking.

galibier_un likes this.
  9. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Dang! But, if one can afford it, why not? I know I'd love to have such a stash of medium pointeds, I'd be beyond set for life lol. But at 4 bucks a pop, it ain't gonna happen.

10. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

I am not that picky.
    I mostly use dunlop blue but I can play fine with guitarcenter picks too.
    If $40 pick makes you happy, more power to you.

11. kookaburra

kookaburra Member

Must be the same pick that comes in the $250 Vinnie Vincent CD package.

12. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

This thread got me looking at the Blue Chips site, and not long after that, I had an ad pop up somewhere for the Dunlop Primetone picks, which have a very similar appearance (but obviously not the same material).

I picked up a pack of the Primetone 2mm standard shape picks, and I think I found my new favorite. They have a sculpted edge that simulates a "worn in" pick, and I really like how they feel.
    [​IMG]

willyboy, friend33 and guitarno like this.
  13. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

Good picks (and not astronomically expensive). I like the "Prime Tone" series and these are my current favorites as well.

willyboy, friend33 and Jim85IROC like this.
  14. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

having owned a blue chip once before (lost it within 2 months), I decided to go with primetones, but I get the small triangles, which was shaped like the blue chip I had. Honestly they get you 98% of the way there for a fraction of the price, (at least on an electric instrument), and are the only pics I buy now.

Jim85IROC likes this.
  15. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

That's about where I got to in the past month with the Primetones (small & large triangle) vs. the Blue Chip TP 48 I picked up.

If I were Chris Thiele, it would be worth it to me, as small differences matter when you're that good. I have so much technique to work on that the difference between the picks isn't going to improve my playing in any meaningful way, and I don't wear out picks the way many do.

Note that the "grip" version of the Primetones sounds a bit "plinky" compared with the smooth ones.

... Thom

SuperSilverHaze likes this.
  16. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

I've bought 4-5 redbear picks. I've only used one, the others are in a drawer. Comparing them, after 3 years, daily use, 5-6 hours a day... They seem pretty much the same.
    Guessing it's a good investment if you don't missplace them.

Jabberwocky and PedalFreak like this.
  17. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Good post. And agreed about ththe grip ones. Not a fan. The regulars are awesome

18. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I'm liking my one and only Blue Chip (Large Jazz 50) more and more. I'm already thinking about another one. Fortunately, my girlfriend wants Christmas suggestions. :)

I was a Jazz III player (of a variety of actual styles, with Tortex being my faves) for years. I also really like Clayton acetal picks so I considered a Blue Chip Jazz 35, which is a .89" Jazz III shape. I'm not sure the Blue Chip will really be worth it at that thickness (thinness?), however. The Larger Jazz III shape is really cool. You get the speediness with the pointer tip, but a little more gripping area.

The Primetone 1.3 & 1.5 in the small triangle shape has become a bit of an addiction as well. The size and weight is actually a welcome change from Jazz IIIs, at least for certain kinds of music. Compared to the Primetone, the Blue Chip sounds and feels better, so maybe I'll ask Santa for an STP50.

The things I like about Blue Chip:

1. The feel in your hand. The warm, grippy-ness of the pick is great.

2. The rigidity of the material without feeling too rigid to the picking hand.

3. Warm, pleasing sound. I think my Blue Chip sounds great on my acoustic & archtop (with flats), but it also warms up my bright Strat nicely. I don't really notice much of a difference in tone on other electric guitars.

4. The way it just seems to cut through the strings like butter, while still allowing plenty of control.

If I do get an STP50, I could see that becoming my main acoustic pick, while the Jazz 50 LG gets a lot of workout on my electrics.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  19. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

Had a copper and stone pic many moons ago. Both put a whoopin' on the strings where you pick...imagine that, the pick wearing out the string and not the other way around

Desmosedici likes this.
  20. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I've had my $35 Blue Chip CT55 for 5 years. Still sounds and plays great. I found mine at a gig and I wouldn't hesitate to buy or recommend them.