40db Boost Boss LS-2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nickreynolds, Oct 11, 2006.

1. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

I know it's far from a Klon, but recentley I started using my Boss Line Selector LS-2 as a clean boost and I gotta say I LOVE IT! :dude

It is VERY transperent, considering it was ment to be just an A/B box :eek:
    But it's active and has up to 40db of boost. This slams the front end nicely!

Who else does this?

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

I never thought of that. That might give some cool possibilities.

3. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

I have done it in the past.

That is such a great box.

4. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

dosmun, Yea I didn't think of it until I read about someone doing it, then I tried it, worked nicely, just leave the loops unpluged and turn up the gain.

longgonedaddy, How'd you like the sounds you got out of it??!!!

5. sandman

sandman Member

Does it 'alter' your tone in a bad way? Is bypass different than regular Boss stuff?

6. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Now the cat's out of the bag. The LS-2 is a cool little utility box.

I use the Boss LS-2 as an active A/B box with an adjustable level control to compensate for long cable runs and the tone loss of using too many pedals.

It is transparent and the level controls are awesome.

By using the mode selector and the jacks in different ways there are just so many things this box can do. It can be a loop pedal, an A/B box, a mixer, the list goes on.

-Tim

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Can't replace my 5 loooper, but you gotta love that company!

8. longgonedaddy

it sounded fine to me.

I have been bashed here, I guess because I'm not enough of a tone snob though.

It didn't contribute anything to the sound, like other boosters I have known, so that is a good thing.

My suggestion is to buy one, they are great pedals, you should find some use for them at one time or another.

9. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

haha yup, i've been diggin' mine!

10. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Talk about serendipity. I've been thinking about getting an A/B box with a boost (a la /13's Switchazel) for a few weeks and then stumbled across this thread. I downloaded the user's manual from the Boss site, and think I'm on the right track, but maybe you guys who are already using an LS-2 can help me out.

What I'd like to do is use Send A to get a moderate Clean Boost for solos and Send B to feed my tuner. Since I'll be "out of the loop(s)" most of the time, so to speak, I'm guessing I'd want to use A->B->Bypass mode. Connection-wise, it looks like I'd want to run my guitar signal into the LS-2's Input jack, leave the A jacks unplugged but set the level as needed to get the clean boost, run the B Send to my Tuner, and the Output jack to the next pedal in my signal chain.

I'll be in Bypass mode when playing until it's time for a clean solo, at which point I'd switch to channel A. At the end of my solo I'd have to hit the footswitch twice to skip the tuner mode and get back to Bypass mode, but that's no big deal. The smaller footprint and lower price point of the LS-2 are much more attractive to me than having a bigger pedal on my board that costs two or three times as much or using a separate A/B box along with an independent boost pedal which, again, will occupy more real estate and not be as cost effective.

So did I suss this out correctly or can I not use an LS-2 in this capacity..?

11. longgonedaddy

the level knobs function on certain seetings, others they are disabled.

I can't remembner off the top of my head, but you may have to loop the boost channel.

no big deal though, just run a cable.

12. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Thanks...I think I'm gonna give this a try. Worst case scenario, it won't work, and if that's the case I'll just sell the pedal.

13. longgonedaddy

keep it. there's a million uses for them.

14. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Which is why I have two - one for each amp.....

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

or what you could do is use it to switch between bypass and lead mode, then bend over between songs to turn the knob to get it to go to tuner mode.

Not as convenient, but maybe more practical