40th Anniversary 1954 Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by motorcitychick, Feb 23, 2012.

1. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Is anyone familiar with the 40th anniversary Fender Strat 1954? Only 1954 were made in 1994 and I was wondering about the quality of this guitar. I have an opportunity to buy one that is in excellent condition at a good price. This model has the round string tree at the head and does not have the gold hardware. It has the neck plate with 40th anniversary 1994 on it. The back of the head has the number out of 1994 on it. Any info will help me to buy or not to buy. The back plate for the tremelo has 1954 on it.

2. flimz

flimz Supporting Member

I had one of these. It was a fantastic strat. Had a beefy neck profile, and the guitar was pretty heavy. Much heavier than other strats Ive owned. The pickups were crystal clear. I remember the neck pickup being one of the best Id heard. It only had a 3-way switch, but I didnt want to swap it out for a 5-way. But you can trick the switch into those "in between" positions, so it worked out fine. The guitar also came with a cool 50s style brown case, and lots of case candy.
    [​IMG]

3. Jed B

Jed B Member

I've got one.........on par with a custom shop, no doubt. Mine is light 7.5lbs, some are closer to 9lbs. The origional pickups are ok, like stated above, the neck position is the standout. Chunky neck, smaller than a nocaster though. Most I've seen had fantastic grain patterns - choice wood.

I've been on the fence about selling it or not...........but I know I'd regret it if I did.

4. flimz

flimz Supporting Member

I definitely regret it, but at the time it was necessary. I have fond memories of that guitar for sure!

5. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

The dealer I was going to buy it from, was way over price on it. He was trying to sell it for almost the price when it was new in 1994 and they did not have the poodle case nor the case candy with it. I offered them a fair price with the 1 case, but the dealer passed on it. I did research on the guitar and for the used market the dealer was way at the high end price. If the guitar had everything with it, I might have gone for it. But I am not going to buy from a dealer who is way over the market value. So I will keep looking.

6. b2sc

b2sc Member

One of the few Strats I ever began to bond with. Like an ass, I sold it, but would love to have another. Heavy but beautifully grained ash body. I remember it has a huge neck which I ddin't apprecaite at the time but know I would love it now.

These weren't CS pieces but built in the regular USA shop.