40w 2 x 12 advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wleeds, May 24, 2011.

1. wleeds

wleeds Member

I am looking for a 40w blackface style 6l6 2 x 12 amp.
    I've searched the forums and haven't found what I'm looking for.

I picked up a 2 x 12 hot rod deville for a gig on the weekend. While it sounded ok it left me wanted a little more ...life. I found the Celestion 80's to be very bottom end heavy. I realize I can change the speakers out and do a bunch of other things to make it more to my liking but I don't want to go through all of that just yet. I took it back and got a HRDX III with the idea of adding a second cab. And, i don't mind changing 1 speaker, just dont want to do both....yet. I have a C-Rex on hand. The HRDX is ok, certainly not great.

I usually gig with a BFDR (strats) though it can get a little small sounding. I think this may be due to the lack of mid control? A Twin and Super are too big.
    Ideally something between BFDR and BFTR. Where to look?

2. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

Pro reverb!

40/45W

2x12

A Silverface pro reverb is reasonably priced, and can be modded to blackface specs if ya want to.

3. KevinYi

KevinYi Member

You might want to try Port City Amps.
    The Pearl is exactly what you're looking for. Blackface sound in a small convenient package and the customer service that Daniel provides is top notch! I use a Dual Fifty and it has that great Blackface sound in a real pretty boutique looking package.

You're more than welcome to try it out if you're local.

4. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Supporting Member

+1 for a BF or SF Pro Reverb. If you go SF, make sure you're not lookig at one of the late 70s 70w models.

5. mwhy

mwhy Member

Jack Anderson amps. His 40w combo would kill!

6. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Pro Reverb again is my first thought. Also Allen Amps has the Old Flame which is offered as a 2x10 and 1x12 but having a conversation with David never hurts. Also getting that amp as a head with a separate 2x12 cabinet could save your back!

7. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Supporting Member

+4 for a Pro Reverb. A classic. BF or SF - even MV silverface are good if as mentioned you stay away from the late '70's "70 watt" ones.

9. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

How about a Twin Reverb and just pull 2 tubes out. That is what I do. Keep in mind there is only about a 3-4 db difference between a 100 watt and a 50 watt amp.

I have been playing a TR with 2 tubes pulled out for years with no problems whatsoever. You just want to make sure you pull either that outer 2 or the inner 2.

10. wleeds

wleeds Member

If I add an extension cab to my BFDR, will it sound like a BFDR just bigger?

and, what ohm speaker would I use?

11. wleeds

wleeds Member

anyone?

12. cocobolo

cocobolo Member

BFDR have an 8ohm output. The speaker jacks are wired in parallel. So you'd want a match with both jacks being used. You can run a mismatch of up to one step. So two 8 ohm loads (12" in the combo with an 8ohm extension) ran in parallel would be 4 ohms total and you'd be safe. I've run a 212 Tone Tubby Alnico cab before that was perfect for the DR (though it was a Reissue). Great smokey jazz tones and it did sound huge though not as in your face as the larger watt amps like a twin reverb. One of my favorite all time live concert experiences was Trey playing in a small club with his side band using his DR through a 412. He had that thing cranked and it filled the whole place without any spikey treble or without tearing your head off.

13. drewl

drewl Member

Definitely a Pro Reverb.
    The perfect size, weight and power for almost any gig this baby gets used at almost every gig and plays very nice with my AC30 and Marshalls.

[​IMG]